Where Can I Find a Comprehensive Mathematics Dictionary?

• Thread starter princeton118
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, there are many options for finding a comprehensive and clear mathematics dictionary or handbook, including Abramowitz and Stegun, the Online Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences, and various online resources such as Mathworld and Wikipedia.
princeton118
Someone can recommend some good mathematics dictionary or handbook which is comprehensive, completeness and which states the mathematical notions clearly.
Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't really think such a thing is possible, but you can try:
Abramowitz and Stegun, 10th edition
and
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/
for starters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just use Mathworld, Wikipedia or other online resources instead? Can be much more comprehensive than any printed volume can ever be.

Dictionary of Applied math for engineers and scientists. CRC Press.

"Mathematical Handbook for Scientists and Engineers, definitions, theorems and formulas for reference and review" written by Granino A. Korn and Theresa M. Korn, Dover publications, Inc. ISBN 0-486-41147-8

yasiru89 said:
Why not just use Mathworld, Wikipedia or other online resources instead? Can be much more comprehensive than any printed volume can ever be.

I agree, I love http://mathworld.wolfram.com/

1. What is a mathematics dictionary?

A mathematics dictionary is a reference book that contains definitions and explanations of mathematical terms, concepts, and symbols.

2. Why is a mathematics dictionary important?

A mathematics dictionary is important because it provides a comprehensive and reliable source of information for understanding and using mathematical language and concepts. It can also help to clarify and reinforce understanding of mathematical concepts and terminology.

3. Who can benefit from using a mathematics dictionary?

Anyone who is learning or studying mathematics can benefit from using a mathematics dictionary. This includes students, teachers, researchers, and professionals in various fields that use mathematics.

4. Are there different types of mathematics dictionaries?

Yes, there are different types of mathematics dictionaries. Some are general and cover a wide range of mathematical topics, while others may focus on specific branches of mathematics, such as algebra, geometry, or calculus. There are also bilingual mathematics dictionaries that provide translations of mathematical terms in different languages.

5. How can I use a mathematics dictionary effectively?

To use a mathematics dictionary effectively, it is helpful to first familiarize yourself with its structure and organization. Then, you can use it to look up specific terms or concepts that you are unfamiliar with, or to find alternative explanations for concepts that you are having difficulty understanding. It can also be useful to refer to a mathematics dictionary while studying or doing problem sets to clarify any confusing terminology or symbols.