Equal amounts of what we call matter and antimatter

In summary, the early universe did not have exactly equal amounts of matter and antimatter, and the excess of matter is still a mystery in the scientific community. Further research and discussions on this topic can be found by searching "matter antimatter asymmetry."
Ed Aboud
I heard once somewhere that in the early days of the universe there was equal amounts of what we call matter and antimatter. What confuses me a lot is how come pair annihilation didn't occur between all the matter and antimatter to produce a universe just filled with gamma rays? And how come there is a surplus of 'normal' matter now? Any light on this topic would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Space news on Phys.org
Not exactly equal amounts. This is an important issue in modern particle physics, and one thinks that CP-violation (if i rememeber correctly) can be one of the solutions why there was more matter than antimatter in the early universe.

you can google "matter antimatter asymmetry" and similar. If you find something interresting, which you don't understand, ask here in PF again.

Ed Aboud said:
I heard once somewhere that in the early days of the universe there was equal amounts of what we call matter and antimatter. What confuses me a lot is how come pair annihilation didn't occur between all the matter and antimatter to produce a universe just filled with gamma rays? And how come there is a surplus of 'normal' matter now? Any light on this topic would be greatly appreciated thanks.
The question you are raising is still one of the unsolved problems of modern physics. The CP-violation is a qualitative explanation, but the details are still unknown.

What is matter and antimatter?

Matter is the substance that makes up everything in the universe, including atoms and molecules. Antimatter is the opposite form of matter, with particles that have the opposite charge and spin. When matter and antimatter collide, they annihilate each other, releasing a large amount of energy.

How do we know that equal amounts of matter and antimatter exist?

Scientists have observed the production of both matter and antimatter in high-energy collisions, such as those in particle accelerators. These experiments have shown that for every particle of matter produced, an equal and opposite particle of antimatter is also created.

Why is the existence of equal amounts of matter and antimatter important?

The existence of equal amounts of matter and antimatter is a fundamental question in physics. It helps us understand the origins of the universe and the laws of nature. It also has practical applications in fields such as medical imaging and cancer treatment.

Can matter and antimatter be separated?

It is currently not possible to separate matter and antimatter once they are created. They are always produced in equal amounts and are highly unstable, quickly annihilating each other upon contact. Scientists are studying ways to control and manipulate antimatter for potential future applications.

What happens when matter and antimatter collide?

When matter and antimatter collide, they annihilate each other and release a large amount of energy in the form of gamma rays and other particles. This process is called annihilation and is the reason why scientists have to carefully control and contain antimatter in their experiments.