Projectile motion, with no Initial Velocity

In summary, the basketball player must throw the ball at an initial speed of 10.66 m/s in order to go through the hoop without striking the backboard.
RIPCLB

Homework Statement

A 2.00-m tall basketball player is standing on the floor 10.0 m from the basket. If he shoots the ball at a 40 degree angle from the horizontal, at what initial speed must he throw the ball so that it goes through the basket without striking the backboard? The height of the basket is 3.05 m.

Homework Equations

Y=Vi t + 1/2 g t^2
V^2 = + 2 g Y

Those are my best guesses, but I'm not entirely sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, establish a rectangualr coordinate system, with the origin at say 2m above the floor and 10m from the hoop.

Next, list the known variables and their values.

Initial position: (xi, yi) = (0,2)

Final position: (xf, yf) = (10, 1.05) ...note that yf is 1.05 m above the origin defined above.

Launch angle is 40 deg above horizontal.

To find the initial speed, we find the components of the initial velocity, whcih we write

Vix = Vi cos 40 Viy = Vi sin 40

Now write the two equations which give the final position (x,y) as a function of initial position, initial speed components and time. You should find that the only unknowns are the initial speed Vi and time of flight to the hoop. Two eqns, two unknowns...

I don't really understand what exactly to do when you say to write the equations as a function in this case.

Is there anyone that can further help? I'm very crunched for time tonight and any help would be very appreciated.

RIPCLB said:

Homework Statement

A 2.00-m tall basketball player is standing on the floor 10.0 m from the basket. If he shoots the ball at a 40 degree angle from the horizontal, at what initial speed must he throw the ball so that it goes through the basket without striking the backboard? The height of the basket is 3.05 m.

Homework Equations

Y=Vi t + 1/2 g t^2
V^2 = + 2 g Y

Those are my best guesses, but I'm not entirely sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to begin.

Start with what you know. Build equations that describe the situation.

For instance, you know that the horizontal Velocity = V*Cosθ
If T is the total time of flight, and the basket is 10m away then you know that V*Cosθ*T = 10m

Believe it or not you are a good part of the way there already.

OK, what else do you know? How much time to maximum height?
Initial velocity/g = V*Sinθ/g = T1

Now T1 is only part of the problem, because Total time = Time to rise (T1) plus time to fall (T2).

OK so how much time for it to drop from max height to the height of the basket?

Figure Max height. Not that hard because (V*Sinθ)2 = 2gH
(Remember H is 2m higher than the ground.)

Now last piece of the puzzle: How long to drop from max height?
(H - 1.02) = 1/2 g* T22
(The 1.02 is the difference in height above the release point.)

Now start solving. Your answer should grind out the bottom.

1.05=v^2sin40*(10/v^2cos40)-0.5*9.8*(10/v^2cos40)^2
1.05=10tan40-(490/v^2(cos40)^2)
v^2((cos40)^2*10tan40)-490=v^2((cos40)^2)
v^2((cos40)^2*10tan40)-v^2((cos40)^2)=490
v^2(4.337215)=490
v=(490/4.337215)^0.5
v=10.66m/s

HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND NOW!

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is projectile motion different from regular motion?

Unlike regular motion, projectile motion involves both horizontal and vertical components. This means that the object is moving both horizontally and vertically at the same time.

3. What is the initial velocity in projectile motion?

The initial velocity in projectile motion refers to the speed and direction at which the object is launched or thrown. In the case of no initial velocity, the object is dropped or released from rest.

4. Can an object experience projectile motion without an initial velocity?

Yes, an object can experience projectile motion without an initial velocity. This is known as free-fall, where the object is dropped or released from rest and only moves under the influence of gravity.

5. How does the angle of projection affect projectile motion with no initial velocity?

The angle of projection, also known as the launch angle, affects the trajectory and range of the projectile. A smaller angle will result in a shorter and lower trajectory, while a larger angle will result in a longer and higher trajectory.