How Do Radio Waves Attenuate in Water Over Distance?

In summary, the problem requires finding the percentage amplitude reduction of 10MHz radio waves that travel through 250 meters of water. This can be done by constructing a plot of the average energy per unit volume stored in these radio waves as a function of depth, in terms of the initial electric field at 0 meters depth. The relevant equation is energy/volume = f(EI). To solve this problem, one should review the Beer-Lambert law and refer to any relevant tables for absorbancy values.
krickette

Homework Statement

What is the percentage amplitude reduction of 10MHz radio waves that travel through 250 meters of water? Construct a plot of the average energy per unit volume stored in these radio waves as a function of depth from 0 to 250 meters in terms of the initial electric field at 0 meters depth. Be sure to include the equation that you plot.

Homework Equations

I know that it's going to end up being that energy/volume =f(EI) and that we need to find the f.

The Attempt at a Solution

Oh lordie. This problem is really killing me. I mean I am stumped beyond reason, and I know that I could do it if my head were clear, but I have to get this done so I can study for the rest of my finals, and I'm running on like no sleep. I know, I suck. I have literally pages of work for this problem in front of me, but it's all just garbage, so there's no real point in me posting it up here, since it wasn't anywhere close.

Anyway, if someone could help, even just a nudge in the right direction, I'll like, be your friend forever!

Physics news on Phys.org
krickette said:

Homework Statement

What is the percentage amplitude reduction of 10MHz radio waves that travel through 250 meters of water? Construct a plot of the average energy per unit volume stored in these radio waves as a function of depth from 0 to 250 meters in terms of the initial electric field at 0 meters depth. Be sure to include the equation that you plot.

Homework Equations

I know that it's going to end up being that energy/volume =f(EI) and that we need to find the f.

The Attempt at a Solution

Oh lordie. This problem is really killing me. I mean I am stumped beyond reason, and I know that I could do it if my head were clear, but I have to get this done so I can study for the rest of my finals, and I'm running on like no sleep. I know, I suck. I have literally pages of work for this problem in front of me, but it's all just garbage, so there's no real point in me posting it up here, since it wasn't anywhere close.

Anyway, if someone could help, even just a nudge in the right direction, I'll like, be your friend forever!

You should probably start by reviewing your notes / text on the Beer-Lambert law (and if it's Griffiths, there's a table of absorbancy values somewhere--I suspect the same is true of Jackson):
http://teaching.shu.ac.uk/hwb/chemistry/tutorials/molspec/beers1.htm

1. What are radio waves and how do they travel through water?

Radio waves are a type of electromagnetic radiation that have a long wavelength and low frequency. They are able to travel through water because they have a low absorption rate in this medium. This means that they can pass through water molecules without being significantly slowed down or absorbed.

2. How far can radio waves travel through water?

The distance that radio waves can travel through water depends on various factors such as the frequency of the waves, the salinity and temperature of the water, and the depth of the water. Generally, lower frequency radio waves can travel further through water compared to higher frequency waves.

3. Can radio waves be used for communication underwater?

Yes, radio waves can be used for communication underwater. However, their range and effectiveness may be limited due to the absorption and scattering of the waves by the water. Specialized equipment and techniques are often required to successfully use radio waves for underwater communication.

4. How do marine animals use radio waves for navigation?

Some marine animals, such as dolphins and whales, use natural radio waves emitted by the Earth's magnetic field for navigation. These animals have specialized organs called magnetoreceptors that can sense the Earth's magnetic field and use it to orient themselves in the water.

5. Are there any potential risks of radio waves passing through water?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that radio waves passing through water pose any significant risk to human health. However, some studies have shown that high levels of electromagnetic radiation, including radio waves, can have adverse effects on marine animals and their behavior. More research is needed to fully understand the potential risks of radio waves through water.