How to show a function is even/odd

• Thread starter mcfc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to show that a given function is odd, defined as f(-x)=-f(x). The attempt at a solution involves substituting values in the given intervals and showing that the resulting expression equals 0. However, it is important to show that this is true for every value in the interval, not just at a few points.
mcfc

Homework Statement

Hi,
I'm new to this site, I've had a look around and there are a lot of useful sections, particularly the section with math and science learning materials.
Anyway, I need to show that the following function is odd
[tex]f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{ccc}
-\sin x&\mbox{ for }-\pi \leq x< \frac{-\pi}{ 2}\\
\sin x &\mbox{ for } \frac{-\pi}{2} \leq x \leq \frac{\pi}{2}\\
-\sin x &\mbox{ for } \frac{\pi}{2}<x<\frac{\pi}{2}
\end{array}\right.[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{ and }f(x + 2 \pi) = f(x) \mbox{
for all other values of x, is an odd function.}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I know an odd function is definded as [tex] f(-x) = -f(x)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In the interval
[tex]-\pi\leq x < {-\pi \over 2} \mbox{ if I substiture } -\pi \mbox{ it becomes }-\sin(-x) = -\sin[-(-{\pi \over 2})] = -\sin({\pi \over 2})[/tex]

Is that the correct way to solve it?
But I'm not sure how to show it's odd in the other intervals!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If f(-x)=f(x), then the function is even. If f(-x)=-f(x), then the function is odd.

This might be a useful variation of the definitions:

If the function f(x) is even, then f(x)-f(-x)=0 for all x.
If the function f(x) is odd, then f(x)+f(-x)=0 for all x.

robphy said:
This might be a useful variation of the definitions:

If the function f(x) is even, then f(x)-f(-x)=0 for all x.
If the function f(x) is odd, then f(x)+f(-x)=0 for all x.

To show it's odd:
look at values in the intervals?
[tex]-\sin(-\pi) - \sin({\pi }) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \sin({-\pi \over 2}) + \sin({\pi \over 2}) = 0[/tex]

[tex]-\sin({3 \pi \over 4}) - \sin({-3 \pi \over 4}) = 0[/tex]

do I need to show anything else?

mcfc said:
To show it's odd:
look at values in the intervals?
[tex]-\sin(-\pi) - \sin({\pi }) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \sin({-\pi \over 2}) + \sin({\pi \over 2}) = 0[/tex]

[tex]-\sin({3 \pi \over 4}) - \sin({-3 \pi \over 4}) = 0[/tex]

do I need to show anything else?

You would have to show that it's true for every value in the interval, not just at a few random points. So you'd have to let [tex]a[/tex] be a random value in each interval, and then look at [tex]f(a)[/tex] and [tex]f(-a)[/tex]. Since the intervals are symmetric, once you've assigned an interval for [tex]a[/tex], it will be obvious what interval [tex]-a[/tex] is in and therefore which definition of the function you need to use.

1. What is an even/odd function?

An even function is a mathematical function where f(x) = f(-x) for all values of x. This means that the output of the function is the same when the input is positive or negative. An odd function is a mathematical function where f(x) = -f(-x) for all values of x. This means that the output of the function is the negative of itself when the input is negative.

2. How do you determine if a function is even or odd?

To determine if a function is even or odd, you can use the symmetry property. If the function is even, then it is symmetric about the y-axis. This means that if you reflect the graph of the function across the y-axis, it will look the same. If the function is odd, then it is symmetric about the origin. This means that if you reflect the graph of the function across the origin, it will look the same.

3. What is the test for an even/odd function?

The test for an even function is to substitute -x for x in the function and simplify. If the resulting expression is equivalent to the original function, then the function is even. The test for an odd function is to substitute -x for x in the function and simplify. If the resulting expression is equal to the negative of the original function, then the function is odd.

4. Can a function be both even and odd?

No, a function cannot be both even and odd. In order for a function to be even, it must satisfy the condition f(x) = f(-x) for all values of x. In order for a function to be odd, it must satisfy the condition f(x) = -f(-x) for all values of x. These two conditions are mutually exclusive, so a function cannot satisfy both of them simultaneously.

5. Why is it important to know if a function is even or odd?

Knowing if a function is even or odd can help simplify calculations and solve problems more efficiently. For example, if a function is even, you only need to evaluate it at positive values of x and then reflect the resulting graph across the y-axis to get the complete graph. Similarly, if a function is odd, you only need to evaluate it at positive values of x and then reflect the resulting graph across the origin to get the complete graph. This can save time and effort in solving mathematical problems.