How to Find the Area of the Interior Using a Parametrization of a Curve?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a parametrization of the curve x2/3+y2/3=1 and using it to compute the area of the interior. The individual tried integrating a function but got the wrong answer. They were then advised to use Green's theorem and were able to find the correct answer of 3/8 pi. They also mention that their original answer was 1/4 of the correct answer.
mmmboh
Find a parametrization of the curve x2/3+y2/3=1 and use it to
compute the area of the interior.

What I did was y=(1-x2/3)3/2

I then integrated this function from 0 to 1 (using maple since it is a crazy integral) and got the answer to be 3/32 [tex]\pi[/tex].

However this is wrong, I probably wasn't suppose to do it the way I did anyway considering that the integral is so complicated.

So what should I do? I am learning Green's theroem right now if that helps, although I may have skipped ahead in it a bit I'm not sure.

Thanks.

Edit: Hm ok I have figured out what to do, the answer is 3/8 pi. How come my original answer is 1/4 of this though?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mmmboh! :smile:
mmmboh said:
Find a parametrization of the curve x2/3+y2/3=1 …

They want you to use a parametrisation.

For example, if it were x2+y2=1, you'd use x = cosθ, y = sinθ. :wink:

1. What is the formula for finding the area of the interior?

The formula for finding the area of the interior is A = bh, where A represents the area and b and h represent the base and height of the shape, respectively.

2. How do you determine the base and height of a shape?

The base and height of a shape can be determined by measuring the length of the two sides that form a right angle and using those values in the formula A = bh.

3. Can the area of the interior be negative?

No, the area of the interior cannot be negative as it represents the amount of space inside a shape and a negative area does not make sense.

4. Can the area of the interior be fractional?

Yes, the area of the interior can be fractional as it represents a measurement of space and not a whole number. This is common with shapes that have non-integer dimensions.

5. Is there a difference between the area of the interior and the perimeter?

Yes, the area of the interior is the measurement of the space inside a shape, while the perimeter is the measurement of the distance around the outside of a shape. They are two separate calculations and represent different properties of a shape.