Residues of an essential singularity and a simple pole

In summary, Vela found that the isolated singularities are znot= 0 and znot= 1. She attempted to find the singularity at znot= 1 but kept getting -sin(1) as the answer. She is unsure of how to handle the 0 singularity. She recommends expanding the function into the Laurent series and finding the -1 coefficient.
daoshay

Homework Statement

Classify the isolated singularities and find the residues
[tex]
\frac {\sin(\frac {1}{z})}{1-z}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

I know the Taylor series expansion for 1/(1-z) when |z|<1
and I think I know the Taylor series for sin(1/z). The reciprocal of each term of the Taylor series of sin(z), right?

The Attempt at a Solution

znot = 0 is an essential singularity and znot = 1 is a simple pole.
I've tried using the limit approach to find the singularity at znot = 1, but I keep getting -sin(1) as an answer. I am thinking I should change sin(1/z) into (e^iz - e^-iz) / 2i,but I'm not sure if that is the right direction. If someone could just nudge me in the right direction, I'd be pumped.

P.S. I gave up on latex for now, it was driving me nuts...I'm learning from looking at other people's code. It kept throwing in a sin function into an expression I never coded a sin in. I have some learning to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
daoshay said:

Homework Statement

Classify the isolated singularities and find the residues
[tex]
\frac {\sin(\frac {1}{z})}{1-z}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

I know the Taylor series expansion for 1/(1-z) when |z|<1
and I think I know the Taylor series for sin(1/z). The reciprocal of each term of the Taylor series of sin(z), right?
No, that would be

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^\infty (-1)^k \frac{(2k+1)!}{z^{2k+1}}[/tex]

which is not the Taylor series for sin(1/z). I'm guessing that's not what you meant though.

The Attempt at a Solution

znot = 0 is an essential singularity and znot = 1 is a simple pole.
I've tried using the limit approach to find the singularity at znot = 1, but I keep getting -sin(1) as an answer. I am thinking I should change sin(1/z) into (e^iz - e^-iz) / 2i,but I'm not sure if that is the right direction. If someone could just nudge me in the right direction, I'd be pumped.
What's wrong with -sin(1)?
P.S. I gave up on latex for now, it was driving me nuts...I'm learning from looking at other people's code. It kept throwing in a sin function into an expression I never coded a sin in. I have some learning to do.
There's a problem with the forum not rendering equations on the page correctly. If you refresh the page, it usually fixes the problem.

Thanks, Vela. For now, I'm okay with the residue of 1 being -sin(1). I'm really uncertain about how to handle the 0 singularity. Do you suggest I expand the function into the Laurent series and find the -1 coefficient? If so, do I need to substitute

[tex]
\frac{e^{i1/z}-e^{-i1/z}}{2i}
[/tex]

for

[tex]
\sin\frac{1}{z}
[/tex]
?

Last edited:
Whenever you have an essential singularity multiplied by an analytic function that's not a polynomial, the residue at zero is going to be an infinite sum:

[itex]\left(a_0+a_1 z+a_2 z^2+\cdots\right)\left(\frac{b_1}{z}+\frac{b_2}{z^2}+\cdots\right)[/itex]

And you have:

[itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{z^{2n+1}(2n+1)!}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} z^n[/itex]

Can you then form the Cauchy product of those sums and pick out all the terms with 1/z?

Last edited:
A simpler way that requires almost no computation is to consider the contour integral along a circle with center the origin of radius smaller than one.

So, I've got:

[tex]

\frac {1}{z}\left(1-\frac{1}{3!}+\frac{1}{5!}-\frac{1}{7!}+\cdots\right)

[/tex]

where the alternating series is my residue and that has a limit of... (I don't recognize this one except for the coefficients in sin(x))

You should recognize this as sin(1). That's the weakness of this method.

So, I've got -sin(1) and sin(1) as the residues? That feels awkward, only because none of the examples we did had residues like that. But I suppose those are numbers too.

daoshay said:
So, I've got -sin(1) and sin(1) as the residues? That feels awkward, only because none of the examples we did had residues like that. But I suppose those are numbers too.

You should do more practice problems! Let me suggest one. Do the same problem again, but now with sin(1/z) replaced by
f(1/z) where f(z) is any arbitrary analytic function.

Thanks count. Will I end up getting -f(1), f(1/1)? I haven't tried it, but based on this problem and the behavior of the essential singularity times the analytic function, that's what I'm guessing I'll get. I -will- try it later this week.

The Taylor's series for sin(z), about z= 0, is
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{(2n+1)!} z^{2n+1}[/tex]

Therefore the Laurent's series for sin(1/z), about z= 0, is
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{(2n+1)!}z^{-(2n+1)[/tex]

Az vela pointed out, that is not the same as "The reciprocal of each term of the Taylor series of sin(z)".

Since that has an infinite number of terms with negative exponent, z= 0 is an essential singularity.

daoshay said:
Thanks count. Will I end up getting -f(1), f(1/1)? I haven't tried it, but based on this problem and the behavior of the essential singularity times the analytic function, that's what I'm guessing I'll get. I -will- try it later this week.

You'll find that the residue at zero does not only involve f(1), so there was something special about the case f(z) = sin(z). You can also try to solve this more general problem: Find the residue at z = 0 of

[tex]\frac{f(\frac{1}{z})}{1-z^{n}}[/tex]

where f(z) is an arbitrary analytic function and n an arbitrary integer.

HallsofIvy said:
The Taylor's series for sin(z), about z= 0, is
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{(2n+1)!} z^{2n+1}[/tex]

Therefore the Laurent's series for sin(1/z), about z= 0, is
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n}{(2n+1)!}z^{-(2n+1)[/tex]

Az vela pointed out, that is not the same as "The reciprocal of each term of the Taylor series of sin(z)".

Thanks, Halls. I realized as soon as Vela pointed that out that I shouldn't have reciprocated because of the factorials. Only the z value is reciprocated. I'd been staring at this stuff for a while and wasn't thinking clearly.

You guys have been a great help.

Hello friends,
I'm a student of mechanical engineering and I have a problem with computing residues of a complex function. I ve read your useful comments. Now I ve got some ideas about essential singularity and series expansion in computing the residue. However, I still can't find the solution to my problem.
I arrived at a complex function in the process of finding a solution to a mechanical problem.
Then I have to obtain the residues to proceed to the next steps. The function has the following form:

f(z)=exp(A*Z^N+B*Z^-N)/z

where A, B and N are real constants (N>=3).

I want to compute the resiude at z=0. I wrote the Laurent serie of f but got an infinite sum. I do not even know if I am at the right direction.
Engineering students like me have always problems with math, let alone complex analysis.
Anyway, I would be really thankful if someone could give me hint on this and put me back in the right direction.

1. What is an essential singularity?

An essential singularity is a type of singularity in complex analysis where a function becomes infinitely large and oscillates infinitely in all directions as the input approaches a certain point. This point is called the essential singularity.

2. How is an essential singularity different from a simple pole?

A simple pole is a type of singularity where a function becomes infinitely large and rotates around a fixed point as the input approaches a certain value. This point is called the pole. Unlike an essential singularity, the function does not oscillate infinitely in all directions.

3. Can a function have both an essential singularity and a simple pole?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have both an essential singularity and a simple pole. This type of singularity is called a mixed singularity. An example of a function with a mixed singularity is f(z) = e^z/(z-1).

4. What is the residue of an essential singularity?

The residue of an essential singularity is the coefficient of the term with (z-a)^-1 in the Laurent series expansion of the function around the singularity. It is denoted by Res(f,a) and is used to calculate the value of certain integrals around the singularity.

5. How are residues of essential singularities and simple poles calculated?

The residue of an essential singularity can be calculated using the Cauchy residue theorem, which states that the residue is equal to the integral of the function around a closed contour divided by 2πi. The residue of a simple pole can be calculated using the formula Res(f,a) = lim z→a (z-a)f(z).