Why does high voltage transmission reduce Joule losses?

In summary, power is transmitted at high voltage for long distances in order to reduce Joule losses, as represented by the equation P = I^2 R. This is achieved by minimizing the current, which is inversely proportional to voltage according to Ohm's law. Although the equation P = V^2 / R may suggest that higher voltage means more losses, it actually only applies to the voltage drop in the wire, not the transmission line voltage. Additionally, using higher voltage allows for the use of smaller wires, making it more cost-effective for long distance transmission.
abeboparebop
I'm a bit confused about why power is transmitted at high voltage for transmission over long distances. This is generally explained as reducing Joule losses, P = I^2 R, and we minimize the current by maximizing the voltage.

However, a trivial re-arrangement using Ohm's law gives also P = V^2 / R. This appears to say that higher voltage means more electrical losses.

What am I missing here? I think I don't understand the statement "minimize the current by maximizing the voltage" -- why are they inversely proportional? Ohm's law says they should be proportional (for fixed R -- perhaps this is the mistaken assumption?).

Engineering news on Phys.org
Electrical power can be represented P = V*I, this can be rearranged to I = P/V. Maintaining power, you must increase the voltage if current drops.

A big factor is that by lowering the current, you don't need as large a wire to avoid overheating. Using smaller wire more cost-effective when running wire long distances.

abeboparebop said:
This is generally explained as reducing Joule losses, P = I^2 R, and we minimize the current by maximizing the voltage.

However, a trivial re-arrangement using Ohm's law gives also P = V^2 / R. This appears to say that higher voltage means more electrical losses.

In addition to dawin's comments, the problem with the equations you're written is this:

** The resistive losses are correctly expressed as P = I^2 R, because the I is the current flowing in the wire.

** The equation you wrote P = V^2 / R does not apply, or would only apply to the voltage DROP in the wire. That V is not the transmission line voltage, so that's why you don't use the transmission line voltage to try to calculate the power losses in the wire.

Hope that helps to clarify things.

1. How does high voltage transmission reduce Joule losses?

High voltage transmission reduces Joule losses by decreasing the current that runs through the transmission line. According to Ohm's Law, the power lost due to resistance (Joule losses) is equal to the square of the current multiplied by the resistance. Therefore, by increasing the voltage, the current can be decreased, resulting in lower Joule losses.

2. Why is it important to reduce Joule losses in high voltage transmission?

Reducing Joule losses is important in high voltage transmission because it increases the efficiency of the transmission line. The less energy that is lost due to resistance, the more energy can be delivered to the end user. This also helps to reduce the overall cost of electricity for consumers.

3. How does high voltage affect the cost of electricity?

High voltage transmission helps to reduce the cost of electricity by decreasing the amount of energy lost due to resistance. This means that more energy can be delivered to consumers without the need for additional infrastructure, such as larger transmission lines. It also helps to reduce the need for frequent maintenance and repairs, which can be costly.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using high voltage transmission?

One potential drawback of high voltage transmission is the increased risk of electrical accidents. High voltage can be dangerous and requires proper safety measures to be in place. Additionally, high voltage transmission may require more specialized equipment and expertise, which can add to the overall cost.

5. How does high voltage transmission impact the environment?

High voltage transmission can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On one hand, it reduces the amount of energy lost, which means less resources are needed to produce electricity. However, it also has the potential to cause harm to wildlife and ecosystems if not properly managed. Additionally, the construction and maintenance of high voltage transmission lines can also have an impact on the environment.