Understanding Limit Questions: Approaches and Solutions | Homework Help

• Thread starter AndreTheGiant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems with the limit (x,y) -> (0,0). The first problem involves approaching the limit from different axes and concluding that it does not exist. The second problem also results in the conclusion that the limit does not exist. The conversation also mentions that posting only one or two problems per thread will result in better responses.
AndreTheGiant

Homework Statement

Hello. I have a few questions I wanted to run by just to make sure I did them right.

all the below have lim (x,y) -> (0,0)

1) [PLAIN]http://www4d.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP188519hd2c481i6c46be00004f512a01afdig9ge?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=27&w=111&h=40

2) [PLAIN]http://www4d.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP142419hd2d04f3fccfb70000144ef2c7017g2919?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=43&w=63&h=43

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so this is what i did for the following.

1) if i approach from the x-axis and y axis, both the limits give me -3/0 as an answer. If i approach from y = ax, i also get -3/0 as the final answer. So the limit does not exist? What other methods can i use here because I'm not sure if this is right.

2) approaching from the y-axis I get lim y-> 0 of y^2/y^2 = 1
approaching from the x-axis i get lim x-> 0 3x^2/x^2 = 3
since those two aren't equal I can conclude that the limit does not exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Andre,

Welcome to PF.

You will get better response if you post only one or two problems per thread. (That's also in the Forum Rules.)

For (1):

You might still want to see if the limit is +∞ or if it's -∞ -- or just plain DOES NOT EXIST. Check that along the y-axis from the positive versus the negative direction.

For (2):

That's correct.

For (3):

Also correct.

Thanks for the reply. I edited my post to have 2 questions only. Thanks!

Post the other two in another thread

1. What are limit questions?

Limit questions involve finding the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a certain value. They are used to analyze the behavior of a function near a specific point.

2. What are the different approaches to solving limit questions?

There are several approaches to solving limit questions, including algebraic manipulation, direct substitution, factoring, and using trigonometric identities. It is important to understand each approach and when to use them for different types of limit questions.

3. How do I know if a limit question is solvable?

In general, limit questions are solvable as long as the function is well-defined and continuous. However, there are certain cases where a limit may not exist, such as when there is a vertical asymptote or a point of discontinuity.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving limit questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving limit questions include forgetting to check for vertical asymptotes, using incorrect algebraic or trigonometric identities, and not considering the behavior of the function as the input approaches the given value.

5. How can I improve my understanding of limit questions?

To improve your understanding of limit questions, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems and to seek help from a tutor or teacher if you are struggling. It can also be helpful to review the concepts of continuity and limits in calculus.