Partial Fractions Solving: Denominators having degrees more than 2

In summary: The correct equations are x^3 - y^3 = (x - y)(x^2 + xy + y^2) and x^3 + y^3 = (x + y)(x^2 - xy + y^2). The difficulty with factoring higher degree polynomials is that it can be harder to find the factors, but the principle remains the same once the factors are found. Using techniques like completing the square and substitution can help to simplify expressions and make it easier to find the factors. However, there is no simple formula for factoring higher degree polynomials, so it may require some trial and error or more advanced techniques to find the factors.
engphy2
I just want to know if there is now a way to solve fractions like which had a variables that has a degree more than 2 in its denominator. I know that denominators having degrees of 2 could be solved using
(Ax + B)/(x2+a).
But how about denominators like (x3+a) and so on?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The main difficulty is that it is much harder to get the factors for higher degree polynomials. The principal is the same once you've got the factors.

On the other hand, the one you specifically give is relatively simple:
As checkitagain pointed out, this should have been
[tex]x^2+ y^2= (x+ y)(x^2- xy+ y^2)[/tex]

By "completing the square", [itex]x^2- xy+ y^2= x^2- xy+ y^2/4- y^2/4+ y^2= (x- y/2)^2+ 3y^2/4[/itex].

Let [itex]y= \sqrt{a}[/itex].

But, as mathman says, while every polynomial can be factored into linear or quadratic terms over the real numbers (into linear terms over the complex numbers), the higher the degree of the polynomial, the harder to find the factors.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
On the other hand, the one you specifically give is relatively simple:
[tex]x^2+ y^2= (x+ y)(x^2+ xy+ y^2)[/tex]

I haven't received any feedback about my issues with the content
in the quote box above, so I am posting this:

[tex]x^3 - y^3 = (x - y)(x^2 + xy + y^2)[/tex]

[tex]x^3 + y^3 = (x + y)(x^2 - xy + y^2)[/tex]

so it can only be done to perfect cube terms??

engphy2 said:
so it can only be done to perfect cube terms??
Not necessarily. But in general you need to find the factors, which may be difficult in practice.

Every polynomial of degree greater than two can be factored into first or second degree factors- in fact, if we use complex numbers entirely into first degree factors. That does NOT mean that there is any simple way to find those factors.

checkitagain said:
I haven't received any feedback about my issues with the content
in the quote box above, so I am posting this:

[tex]x^3 - y^3 = (x - y)(x^2 + xy + y^2)[/tex]

[tex]x^3 + y^3 = (x + y)(x^2 - xy + y^2)[/tex]

Yes, there were typos in the exponents in HoI's post.

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used to break down a complex fraction into smaller, simpler fractions. This can make it easier to solve and understand the original problem.

2. What does it mean for a denominator to have a degree more than 2?

The degree of a denominator refers to the highest power of the variable in the denominator. When a denominator has a degree more than 2, it means that the variable is raised to a power higher than 2 in the denominator.

3. Why do we need to use partial fractions to solve denominators with degrees more than 2?

Denominators with degrees more than 2 can be difficult to solve using traditional algebraic methods. Partial fractions provide a systematic approach to breaking down these complex fractions into simpler ones, making them easier to solve.

4. What is the process for solving partial fractions with denominators having degrees more than 2?

The process for solving partial fractions with denominators having degrees more than 2 involves breaking down the complex fraction into smaller, simpler fractions with denominators of degree 1 or 2. This is done by finding the partial fraction decomposition, which involves finding the constants that make up the smaller fractions.

5. Can partial fractions be used for denominators with degrees less than 2?

Yes, partial fractions can be used for denominators with degrees less than 2 as well. However, it is more commonly used for denominators with degrees more than 2, as these fractions tend to be more complex and difficult to solve using traditional methods.