An error related with matrix exponential

In summary: P'(E^n)R'R(S^n)P = P'(E^n)S^nP. In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding an error in calculating matrix exponentials using the Zassenhaus formula. The mistake is assuming the equality of (e^A)^n = e^(nA) * (e^B)^n = e^(nB), which is only true when A and B commute. The correct relation is (A^n) * (B^n) = P' * (E^n) * S^n * P, where P and R matrices are composed of eigenvectors and E and S are diagonal matrices of corresponding eigenvalues.
umut_caglar
Hi guys I have a problem in finding my error in a calculation, I will be glad if you help me to find the error that I am doing

ok the problem is basically about matrix exponentials, here we go:

A, B, U, P are matrices
n is a natural number
t and T are rational numbers and T=n*t

now in general ## e^{t(A+B)}≠e^{tA}*e^{tB} ##
but can be represented by using The Zassenhaus formula

## e^{t(A+B)}=e^{tA}*e^{tB}*e^{(t^2/2)*(AB-BA)}*\ldots ##

one can find the details of the formula from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker–Campbell–Hausdorff_formula

now I begin by writing the formula

## e^{t(A+B)}=e^{tA}*e^{tB}*e^{(t^2/2)*(AB-BA)}*\ldots ##

and then I take the 'n'th power of both sides

## \left(e^{t(A+B)}\right)^n=\left(e^{tA}*e^{tB}*e^{(t^2/2)*(AB-BA)}*\ldots\right)^n ##if I define U=A+B I will get

## \left(e^{t U}\right)^n=\left(e^{tA}*e^{tB}*e^{(t^2/2)*(AB-BA)}*\ldots\right)^n ##

by using the equality of (e^A)^n=e^[aN] i will obtain

## e^{t*n*U}=\left(e^{tA}*e^{tB}*e^{(t^2/2)*(AB-BA)}*\ldots\right)^n ##

by using the definitions T=nt and U=A+B i will get

## e^{T*(A+B)}=\left(e^{tA}*e^{tB}*e^{(t^2/2)*(AB-BA)}*\ldots\right)^n ##

for the right side I define the P matrix as P=AB-BA

## e^{T*(A+B)}=\left(e^{tA}*e^{tB}*e^{(t^2/2)*P}*\ldots\right)^n ##

and by using the equality ## \left(e^A*e^B\right)^n=e^{(nA)}*e^{(nB)} ## recursively, I obtain

## e^{T*(A+B)}=e^{t*n*A}*e^{t*n*B}*e^{(t^2/2)*n*P}*\ldots ##

Again by using the definitions of T=tn and P=AB-BA I obtain

## e^{T*(A+B)}=e^{T*A}*e^{T*B}*e^{T*(t/2)*(AB-BA)}*\ldots ##

but, if expand the left side of the equation by using Zassenhaus formula, I end up with

## e^{TA}*e^{TB}*e^{(T^2/2)(AB-BA)}*...≠e^{TA}*e^{TB}*e^{(T*t/2)(AB-BA)}*\ldots ##which is not clearly equal to the right side; so where is my mistake.*****************************

As a side note; If you also show the correct version of the calculation I will be glad;

For example; I expect my error is asuuming the equality of ## \left(e^A*e^B\right)^n=e^{(nA)}*e^{(nB)} ##
if this is the mistake, could you show the correct relation?

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Edit: You got the LaTex working, so I'll delete my version of it.

Another suggestion: You might get an answer quicker if you request this thread be moved to the Linear and Abstract Algebra section of the forum. I don't really know the proper way to make such a request. I suppose you could PM a moderator. The "report" feature might also be used, but the directions for using it make it sound like it's only to report offensive material.

Last edited:
Hi everybody I finally understand the problem, I will put a note to here in case someone else might need it

A and B are matrices n is a natural number

say ##AB-BA=\phi## then we will have ##(AB)^2=ABAB## which is equal to

##A(AB-\phi)B##

then we get

##=AABB-A\phi B##

finally get

##(AB)^2=A^2B^2-A\phi B##

so my initial guess was correct and ##(AB)^n≠A^nB^n##

thanks to everybody who tries to solve it

[itex]\left(e^A*e^B\right)^n=e^{(nA)}*e^{(nB)}[/itex]

Yep, this is only true if A and B commute, that is AB-BA=0

Stephen Tashi said:
Another suggestion: You might get an answer quicker if you request this thread be moved to the Linear and Abstract Algebra section of the forum.
Done.
Stephen Tashi said:
I don't really know the proper way to make such a request. I suppose you could PM a moderator. The "report" feature might also be used, but the directions for using it make it sound like it's only to report offensive material.
No, it's fine to use the Report button for things like this, despite the misleading directions.

As a sidebar, it is important to know (at least when finding the root of a transition matrix) that if A= P'EP and B =R'SR where E and S are a diagonal matrix of eigenvalues. The P and R matrices are composed of the respective eigenvectors, and PP' = RR' = I. Then:

A^n = P'(E^n)P and B^n = R'(S^n)R

Note, A*A = P'(E)PP'(E)P = P'(E)I(E)P = P'(E^2)P

so one only needs to raise the diagonal elements (the eigenvalues) to the power of n (where n can also be a fraction, that is, taking a root).

As such, (A^n)*(B^n) = P'(E^n)P*R'(S^n)R

Last edited:

1. What is a matrix exponential?

A matrix exponential is a mathematical operation that is used to calculate the exponential function of a square matrix. It involves raising the matrix to a power, which can help solve certain types of equations and problems in linear algebra.

2. What is an error related to matrix exponential?

An error related to matrix exponential can occur when trying to calculate the exponential of a non-square matrix or a matrix that is not diagonalizable. This can result in an invalid or undefined answer.

3. How do I fix an error related to matrix exponential?

If you encounter an error related to matrix exponential, you can try checking if your matrix is square and diagonalizable. If not, you may need to use a different method to solve your problem or reformulate your equations.

4. What are some applications of matrix exponential?

Matrix exponential has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model growth and decay processes, solve differential equations, and analyze the behavior of linear systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using matrix exponential?

While matrix exponential has many useful applications, it may not always be the most efficient or accurate method for solving certain problems. It also requires working with matrices, which can be challenging for some individuals. There may be other methods better suited for certain types of equations and problems.