What is the moment of inertia of a disc and rectangular plate system?

In summary: Don't know if that is what you are looking for though. If you can get the answer from the formulas you are using, try it with the calculus. It's a bit more work but it will get you the answer.
dreamz25
q) A disc of mass 'm' and radius 'R' is attached to a rectangular plate of the same mass, breadth R and elngth 2R as shown in the figure. Find the moment of inertia of this system about the axis XX' passing through the centre of the disc and along the plane.

http://encodable.com/uploaddemo/files/picasa.png

please help me out...!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well it's the sum of the moments separately ... I think the parallel axis theorem is your friend here. It is a good idea to show some attempt at working it out if only to show us how you are thinking about the problem.

what i did was found the moment of inertia of the rectangular plate about the axis perpendicular to it and passing through the com
i.e, I1 = M(2R^2 + R^2)/12 = 5{MR^2}/12
Again,
I2 = M.I of the circular disc about the axis passing through its centre and perpendicular to it + I1 + M(d)^2 where d is the distance between them

so using it the T.I = MR^2/2 + 5MR^2/12 + M(3R/2)^2
= 19/6 MR^2
So, M.I about the axis passing through the centre and in the plane of the disc = 19/12 MR^2

but its 31/12 MR^2 which the book says...
so please help...
and yea i m a beginner.. :P

welcome to pf!

hi dreamz25! welcome to pf! :smile:

oooh, wrong axis! :redface:
dreamz25 said:
Find the moment of inertia of this system about the axis XX' passing through the centre of the disc and along the plane.

… the axis is in the plane of the diagram

thankyou sir...
but can u please work it out...!
m not getting what u want to say actually (

@tiny-tim: Doesn't it give the same result?
@dreamz25: we are not supposed to do your work for you - working out the result yourself is part of the homework.
Try looking up the terms used and following the links supplied.

It looks like you know the formulae but don't understand them.
You found the moment of inertia for the plate for an axis perpendicular to it, but you need the axis along it's length.
Then apply parallel axis theorem.

Add to the moment of inertia for a disk, same problem - you need an axis through the center but in the plane of the disk, not perpendicular to it.
Look at the diagram you have and compare with the ones accompanying the formulae you used.

Last edited:
dreamz25 said:
m not getting what u want to say actually (

the formula you used is for the moment of inertia about an axis perpendicular to the plane of the disc or plate …

but the question asks about an axis parallel to (in) the plane of the disc or plate

That's what my problem is...?
Perpendicular axis theorem says
I = Ix + Iy
but if it would have been a square then it was easy to calculate M.I of the plate about the axis in the plane of it...
but i don't know how to do it for the rectangular plate...?
Please atleast give me some source or proper concept...!
Afterall i showed whatever i could..!

Once we know the M.I of the rec. plate about the axis parallel to XX' then its easy to apply the parallel axis theorem and kill the question.... :{

still undone.. :{

Last edited:
If you are really stuck you can always just go back to the calculus.

What is moment of inertia and why is it important?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of an object that describes its resistance to rotational motion. It is important because it helps us understand how objects move and rotate in response to external forces.

How do you calculate moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The formula is I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

What are some common units for moment of inertia?

The SI unit for moment of inertia is kilogram square meters (kg·m²). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as gram square centimeters (g·cm²) or pound square feet (lb·ft²).

How does moment of inertia differ for different shapes of objects?

Moment of inertia depends on both the mass and the distribution of mass in an object. Therefore, different shapes of objects will have different moments of inertia even if they have the same mass. For example, a solid sphere has a different moment of inertia than a hollow sphere with the same mass.

What are some real-life applications of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is used in many areas of physics and engineering, such as designing structures that can withstand strong winds or earthquakes. It is also important in sports, as it helps athletes understand how their bodies move and rotate during different movements and exercises.