What maths must I understand in order to begin physcics?

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date
In summary: I think most universities will have you take some basic math and physics courses before you take more advanced courses, like calculus. Basic math and physics would include things like basic algebra and geometry, trigonometry, and maybe linear algebra.
Tyrion101
I am wondering what level of maths I need to be competent in in order to begin basic physics? I have heard calculus was one, anything else? Geometry maybe? Statistics?

Physics news on Phys.org
The very basics of physics requires at least some algebra. I'd say getomery is possibly needed as well. I took a physics class in High School with nothing more than algebra and geometry completed.

Doing Basic Physics (Lower Division)

Algebra I & II
Euclidean Geometry
Trigonometry
Basic Linear Algebra (vector operations and solving a 3 X 3 Determinate)

Understanding Basic Physics (i.e. following lower division proofs)

A semester of:
1. differential calculus
2. Integral Calculus and Infinite Series
3. Vector and multivariate Calculus including partial differential equations.
4. Occasionally linear algebra and ordinary differential equations.

Statistics is helpful but not necessary for lower division physics. Many physicists never take a statistics class but learn it in the course of their physics studies (much like computer science).

The beginning stages of Physics at a community college only truly required algebra/geometry/trigonmetry to be able to ace the classes.
Algebra for solving for a unknown variable, geometry for figuring out angles for mechanic problems, and trigonmetry for the same basic reasoning of solving triangles.
Alot of basic physics consits of using geometry/trig to solve for certain sides/angles of a triangle(which is really a vector in the physics world).
We never had to use a 3x3 matrix for any of our problems, but this can easily be learned in 10 minutes.

The first thing I would tackle is learning to use trig to solve triangles angles/sides with enough information.
Basically you need to learn your trig functions SIN COSINE AND TANGENT Your calculator is labeled as SIN COS TAN
Once you tackle this you can learn one of the first beginning subjects in physics. Kinematics/Projectiles. Very fun once you get the hang of it.

The community college I went to makes Pre-Calc II a pre-req or co-req though.

Last edited:
Generally, the requirements for the first semester of physics is Calculus I and concurrent enrollment in Calculus II. The second and third semester of physics generally require Calculus II and possibly concurrent enrollment or completion of Calculus III. Most upper division courses require linear algebra and second order linear ordinary differential equations.

Calculus is used mostly in the proofs and somewhat on the labs. The vast majority of test questions do not require calculus, though it may be useful and you may have to derive equations on tests using integral or differential calculus, though probably not much. Honestly, you could probably get through the class without Calculus under your belt since very few of the test and homework questions require it, but universities usually make it a prerequisite.

My school required me to have differential calculus before mechanics, though we barely use it. And then you needed to complete the calculus sequence (integral, multivariate) to take E&M.

doctorwhoo said:
My school required me to have differential calculus before mechanics, though we barely use it. And then you needed to complete the calculus sequence (integral, multivariate) to take E&M.

I think it was all calculus done for Modern Physics and all lower division math + theoretical physics (basically a review of lower division math and introduction to advanced physics-related math topics like tensors and Fourier transforms) for most other upper division classes like upper division mechanics and E&M.

It's my understanding that you can take basic physics as a trigonometry-based class or as calculus-based. In high school, we took physics concurrently with trigonometry and were expected to already know geometry (particularly triangle and angle-related stuff) and algebra.

1. What is the relationship between math and physics?

Math and physics are closely intertwined and cannot be separated from each other. Physics is essentially the study of the natural world, while math provides the necessary tools and language to describe and understand the physical phenomena. In order to fully comprehend and apply physics concepts, a strong foundation in math is essential.

2. What specific math topics are important for understanding physics?

The most important math topics for understanding physics include algebra, trigonometry, calculus, and geometry. Additionally, knowledge of vectors, matrices, and differential equations is also crucial in certain areas of physics.

3. Do I need to be an expert in math to study physics?

No, you do not need to be an expert in math to study physics. However, a solid understanding of the fundamental math concepts and the ability to apply them is necessary. With practice and perseverance, anyone can develop the necessary math skills to excel in physics.

4. How can I improve my math skills for physics?

The best way to improve your math skills for physics is through practice and repetition. Start by reviewing the basic math concepts and working through practice problems. As you progress, challenge yourself with more advanced problems and seek help from teachers or tutors if needed.

5. Can I use a calculator in physics if I am not good at mental math?

Yes, you can use a calculator in physics if you are not good at mental math. However, it is important to understand the concepts behind the calculations and not solely rely on the calculator. Additionally, some exams may not allow the use of calculators, so it is important to practice mental math as well.