Are there any neuroscience journals that I could get for free?

In summary, the conversation discusses the availability and credibility of free articles online, particularly in the field of neuroscience. The speaker provides a database of open-access journals to search for articles and suggests checking their credibility against a database such as Thompson Reuters. They also mention the difference between impact factors and credibility ratings, and caution against solely relying on impact factors to determine a journal's credibility. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the limitations and possible manipulation of impact factors.
mariexotoni
Like any free articles online?

Biology news on Phys.org
Here is a database of open-access journals, I've done the search for neuroscience for you
http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=findJournals&uiLanguage=en&hybrid=&query=neuroscience

Be wary though, this database doesn't list the impact factors (i.e. credibility) of these journals. You should check them against something like the Thompson Reuters database first.
http://ip-science.thomsonreuters.com/mjl/

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

Many articles become free after a while due to US law. So if you search eg. "deep brain stimulation parkinson's" it will come up with 2675 articles. On the right column under "Filter your results", there's the option to restrict the search results to the 450 articles which are free.

Ryan_m_b said:
Be wary though, this database doesn't list the impact factors (i.e. credibility) of these journals. You should check them against something like the Thompson Reuters database first.
http://ip-science.thomsonreuters.com/mjl/

Impact factors are not credibility ratings.

atyy said:
Impact factors are not credibility ratings.
Yes, that is why I indicated that they are different things. However impact factors are an important thing to consider when looking at the credibility of a journal.

Ryan_m_b said:
Yes, that is why I indicated that they are different things. However impact factors are an important thing to consider when looking at the credibility of a journal.

I don't think so.

I don't think so, either. Impact factor is obscured by novelty and significance, which has nothing to do with credibility.

Just because research won't save lives or make a pharmaceutical company rich doesn't mean it lacks credibility.

Conversely, a parmaceutical company can very easily get into a high-impact journal with some very selective reporting as long as a disclosure is included in a little paragraph at the end.

I'm not saying it is a perfect system, there are many effects that manipulate the numbers but considering the OP is starting from a laymans perspective I think it is an ok thing to look at to get a rough (but not absolute) idea.

Ryan_m_b said:
I'm not saying it is a perfect system, there are many effects that manipulate the numbers but considering the OP is starting from a laymans perspective I think it is an ok thing to look at to get a rough (but not absolute) idea.

Yeah, I think that's ok just to start with those reservations in mind.

What are some reputable neuroscience journals that I can access for free?

Some reputable neuroscience journals that are available for free access include Frontiers in Neuroscience, PLOS Neuroscience, and eNeuro.

How can I access neuroscience journals for free?

There are several ways to access neuroscience journals for free. Many journals offer open access options, where articles are available for free. Additionally, some institutions and universities may provide access to these journals through their library subscriptions.

Are there any specific requirements for accessing free neuroscience journals?

Some journals may require users to create an account or register for free in order to access articles for free. Additionally, some journals may have a delay in access for non-subscribers before articles become available for free.

Can I download and save articles from free neuroscience journals?

While some journals may allow users to download and save articles for personal use, others may have restrictions on downloading and sharing content. Make sure to check the journal's policies before downloading any articles.

Are there any limitations to accessing free neuroscience journals?

Some free neuroscience journals may have limited access to certain articles or may only provide access to older publications. Additionally, not all journals may be available for free, so it's important to research and explore different options.