Anyone know about the performance of home 3D printers?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of 3D printers for home designs and the availability of software that can turn 2D images into 3D objects. The price, speed, reliability, and cost of running a home 3D printer were also mentioned, with the option of building a RepRap or purchasing a pre-made MakerBot. The conversation also touched on the limitations of 3D printing, such as the need for parametric modeling software and the difficulty in printing overhangs.
Rorkster2
I've been interested in 3D printers for a while but am not good enough with computers to do my own home designs. I read an article about new software that, along with being easy to make designs into code, can also turn a 2D picture into a 3D object. (http://www.wired.com/design/2012/07/3d-printing-application/).

I might be looking into getting a home 3D printer soon but haven't heard much about home units and their performance. Anyone think they know how much it will cost to run it, it's speed, reliability, etc. Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
What exactly are you hoping to print on said 3-D printer?

Little trinkets or unique shapes. Nothing really over a few square inches. I've read about a program called Omnomnom creations which allows you to import a 2d image and it creates a 3d object out of it (on top of making customizable objects etc). It grabbed my attention.

The Printrbot is relatively inexpensive for a home rapid prototyping machine and has pretty good resolution. (Key word is relatively. They are also currently out of stock.)

Generally speaking, you can use almost any parametric modeling software you want to generate an .stl file for a 3D printer. I like SolidWorks.

Rorkster2 said:
I might be looking into getting a home 3D printer soon but haven't heard much about home units and their performance. Anyone think they know how much it will cost to run it, it's speed, reliability, etc. Thanks.

The "master" design is called RepRap (www.reprap.org), it's open source so you pay parts only, and depending on who you get the parts from, the cost is about 400 euros/dollars. (Go to local hackerspace, rent their 3d printer and print your own parts is cheapest). They are fiddly to setup and tune. The first things you will probably fab are additional parts to improve the printer quality! You can buy a pre-made, pre-tuned one e.g. MakerBot (www.makerbot.com) for about 150 more. MakerBots have a small print area however (20cm?)

Speed is slow. Go out for dinner, come back to it. Much depends on the resolution you choose.

Running cost is very cheap. 5 kilos of ABS is a few dollars.

Reliability? They're open source kits. You build it yourself. If it breaks, you deal with it. If have issues with that then pay MakerBot.

Look at www.thingiverse.com for examples of stuff people are making. You can do car repair parts, home ornaments, dice, legos, jewelry, statues, kitchenware etc.

The software is technically involved to use and doesn't really have a commercial standard GUI. You also have to design the object in such a way to allow 3d printing. For example overhangs can't be printed, so you have to do that in separate pieces.

EDIT: Disclaimer. I should add that I have a Reprap which I bought in kit form. I have since modded it to use the Makerbot print head.

1. What is the average cost of a home 3D printer?

The average cost of a home 3D printer can vary greatly, ranging from around $200 to $2000. The price depends on the quality and capabilities of the printer, with more expensive ones usually having higher resolution and larger build volumes.

2. How long does it take to print an object on a home 3D printer?

The time it takes to print an object on a home 3D printer depends on the size and complexity of the design, as well as the speed of the printer. Simple objects can take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour to print, while more complex designs can take several hours.

3. What materials can be used with a home 3D printer?

Most home 3D printers use plastic filament as the printing material, such as PLA or ABS. However, there are also printers that can use other materials, such as metal, wood, or even food ingredients like chocolate or dough. The materials that can be used depend on the type of printer and its capabilities.

4. Are home 3D printers easy to use?

The ease of use of a home 3D printer depends on the individual's level of technical skills and the complexity of the printer itself. Some printers may require more technical knowledge and troubleshooting, while others are designed to be user-friendly and easy to operate.

5. Can a home 3D printer produce high-quality prints?

The quality of the prints produced by a home 3D printer can vary greatly depending on the printer's capabilities and the settings used. Some printers can produce very high-quality prints with fine details and smooth surfaces, while others may have limitations in terms of resolution and precision.