Can Programming Skills Improve Your Math Abilities?

• Thread starter tackyattack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programming
In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between programming and math, with some participants believing that programming can help with abstract thinking and problem solving in math, while others disagreed. It was suggested that programming may be useful for certain types of math classes, but may not be as relevant for a major in math or physics. However, programming skills may be beneficial for those pursuing a career in electrical engineering. Some participants also mentioned the importance of knowing object-oriented and functional programming languages. Overall, the consensus was that programming can teach valuable skills that may be applicable to math, but it may not directly translate to success in advanced math subjects.
tackyattack
Hello,

So basically I am worried that once I begin learning math subjects beyond algebra I will struggle. I can program in C and BASIC and was wondering if that programmer knowledge will help me with the abstract thinking and problem solving part of it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Afaik, programming will teach you procedural thinking which is not very useful in math.

I agree w/ tahayassen and would add that I think you have it backwards. More math knowledge will make it easier for you to create computer algorithms that solve problems.

I agree with phinds, but do note that you shouldn't major in math/physics if you want to become a programmer.

I wish to become an electrical engineer. I've learned that it is almost all math so I was hoping my problem solving skills I have gained from programming would aid me. I guess not :(

Part of programming is breaking down a problem into smaller components and/or steps, which may help with some types of math problems. Some types of programming may involve a bit of math that you may not have covered yet, like the modulo function. Some aspects of math, such as finite field math, might be easier to understand if you create programs that implement those aspects of math. There's also some overlap between some types of math and programming, such as numerical integration of ordinary differential equations.

So overall, programming won't help much, but you may find it useful for some of your math classes.

update - I just saw your last post. Electrical engineering will involve some usage of computer based tools, and knowing how to program will help.

Programming can teach you a lot about math. Whether it does depends on what your programs do. What kind of programs do you write?

You should expand your programming knowledge to include C++ or some "object oriented" language.

Stephen Tashi said:
Programming can teach you a lot about math. Whether it does depends on what your programs do. What kind of programs do you write?

You should expand your programming knowledge to include C++ or some "object oriented" language.

What about the functional programming paradigm?

As someone who also programs, I feel that it has helped me a lot in math. Programming, especially reading other peoples programs, makes you learn to follow the logic of programs, which are sometimes convoluted. I think being able to interpret programs is a skill that carries over to math. Like someone else has said, it also teaches you to break complicated problems down.

I'd second Best Pokemon's suggestion. Functional languages have been said to be the closest to expressing things as they are in math.

1. How will programming help me in math?

Programming can enhance your math skills by teaching you how to think logically and break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. It also helps you develop problem-solving skills and improve your computational thinking, which are crucial in math.

2. Will learning programming make me better at math?

Yes, learning programming can make you better at math. Programming involves solving problems using algorithms and logical thinking, which are skills that are also important in math. Additionally, programming can help you visualize abstract concepts and apply them in real-world situations.

3. Can I use programming to solve math problems?

Yes, programming can be used to solve math problems. Many programming languages have built-in functions and libraries that can handle mathematical calculations and equations. By writing a program, you can automate repetitive tasks and solve complex problems more efficiently.

4. How can programming improve my understanding of math concepts?

Programming is a hands-on and interactive way to learn math concepts. By coding, you can experiment with different approaches to solving problems and gain a deeper understanding of the underlying principles. Additionally, the visual and interactive nature of programming can help you visualize and grasp abstract concepts more easily.

5. Is it necessary to know programming to be good at math?

No, it is not necessary to know programming to be good at math. However, learning programming can be a helpful tool in improving your math skills and understanding of mathematical concepts. It can also open up new career opportunities in fields such as data analysis, statistics, and scientific research.