Show 2 of 3 points on a circle are the diameter

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that AC is the diameter of a circle given three points on its circumference. The proposed solutions include using the inscribed angle theorem, finding the midpoint of AC, and using coordinate geometry to find the equation of the circle. Ultimately, it is determined that showing angle ABC is a right angle is a simple and effective solution.
trollcast
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Points A B and C lie on the circumference of a circle where
$$A =(-3,2)\\B=(-1,6)\\C=(7,2)$$

Show that AC is the diameter of the circle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Would it be sufficient to show that the angle ABC is a right angle and therefore by the inscribed angle theorem that any angle subtended from a diameter is a right angle?

Physics news on Phys.org
trollcast said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Would it be sufficient to show that the angle ABC is a right angle and therefore by the inscribed angle theorem that any angle subtended from a diameter is a right angle?
Consider a point O, such that O is the midpoint of AC. If AC is the diameter of the circle, then any point on the circumference of the circle should be equidistant from point O.

I think you can finish from there.

Mandelbroth said:
Consider a point O, such that O is the midpoint of AC. If AC is the diameter of the circle, then any point on the circumference of the circle should be equidistant from point O.

I think you can finish from there.

Thanks I used a similar solution by finding a mid point of AC and then showing that OB was the same length as OC?

So is the diameter not the only 2 points you can subtend right angle triangle from then? (I can't picture any other cases)

trollcast said:
Thanks I used a similar solution by finding a mid point of AC and then showing that OB was the same length as OC?
That's right.

trollcast said:
So is the diameter not the only 2 points you can subtend right angle triangle from then? (I can't picture any other cases)
Naw. I just find it simpler to use less theorems.

trollcast said:
Not exactly. You are trying to show a certain length is a diameter, so you would need a theorem that says the only chords which subtend a right angle on the circumference are diameters. In fact, I believe the inscribed angle theorem says that, but that's not how you quoted it.

Coordinate geometry for finding equation for the circle which contains those three points could be easier to handle. The resulting and simplified equation will show the size of the radius; then, you merely use distance formula to show that the intended given points (giving length, AC) are twice the size of radius.

symbolipoint said:
Coordinate geometry for finding equation for the circle which contains those three points could be easier to handle. The resulting and simplified equation will show the size of the radius; then, you merely use distance formula to show that the intended given points (giving length, AC) are twice the size of radius.

...was my answer wrong? :confused:

Mandelbroth said:
...was my answer wrong? :confused:

No. In fact, maybe a better method is to understand that if two of the points are the endpoints of a diameter, then the three points given, being all on the circle, form a right-triangle. The longer side would be the hypotenuse, and therefore the circle's diameter.

My earlier posted method of coordinate geometry to try to make a system of three equations would not be very neat to solve.

trollcast said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Your idea now seems a correct way. You can also find that the slopes of two of the sides are opposite-reciprocals of each other (meaning, intersect at right-angle). You can find the midpoint of the longest side and use this to fill-in the standard equation of a circle and show that the three points satisfy the equation.

EDIT: Just having solved this most of the way through, what I suggest is very good; but not necessary to check the slopes of any segments. You can if you wish.
IF longest side is diameter, then its midpoint is the center of the circle. Longest side length indicates the diameter from which you get the size of radius. You use the found center point of this longest side to fill-in the standard form of equation for a circle. NOW, you can check to see if each point satisfies the equation.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why everyone has been leading the OP away from his solution. Showing angle ABC to be a right angle is an ingenious solution, considering it's very simple to do and it's short and sweet.

Mentallic said:
I'm not sure why everyone has been leading the OP away from his solution. Showing angle ABC to be a right angle is an ingenious solution, considering it's very simple to do and it's short and sweet.
For my part, because the OP ends thus: "Would it be sufficient to show that the angle ABC is a right angle and therefore by the inscribed angle theorem that any angle subtended from a diameter is a right angle?"
The logic of that last part is backwards from what's needed here, as in "A implies B" versus "B implies A". It just has to be changed to "any chord that subtends a right angle at the circumference is a diameter" (that is, assuming that the 'inscribed angle theorem' says that).

haruspex said:
For my part, because the OP ends thus: "Would it be sufficient to show that the angle ABC is a right angle and therefore by the inscribed angle theorem that any angle subtended from a diameter is a right angle?"
The logic of that last part is backwards from what's needed here, as in "A implies B" versus "B implies A". It just has to be changed to "any chord that subtends a right angle at the circumference is a diameter" (that is, assuming that the 'inscribed angle theorem' says that).

I felt like the OP was just giving us a summary of his reasoning, merely asking a question to see if he was on the right track, but I agree with you that it's very easy to make that logical mistake that you pointed out and it's good to see that you're explicitly critiquing it.

Oh, and it's not your part I was particularly concerned with :wink:

But I realize now it was a bad choice of words to say that "everyone" has been leading the OP away...

Thanks,

I think I maybe got the circle theorem wrong in my OP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thales'_theorem

Is that basically what I was talking about showing ABC to be right angled would be sufficient to show the AC is the diameter?

trollcast said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thales'_theorem
Is that basically what I was talking about showing ABC to be right angled would be sufficient to show the AC is the diameter?
The result you need is the one described as the converse at that link.

1. What does it mean for a point on a circle to be a diameter?

A diameter of a circle is a line segment that passes through the center of the circle and has its endpoints on the circle. This means that any point on the circle that lies on this line segment is considered a diameter.

2. How can you prove that 2 points on a circle are the diameter?

To prove that 2 points on a circle are the diameter, you can show that the line segment connecting the two points passes through the center of the circle. This can be done by finding the midpoint of the line segment and showing that it is equidistant from the two points on the circle.

3. Can a circle have more than one diameter?

Yes, a circle can have infinitely many diameters. This is because any line segment passing through the center of the circle and having its endpoints on the circle can be considered a diameter.

4. What is the relationship between a diameter and the circumference of a circle?

The diameter of a circle is equal to twice the radius of the circle, which is the distance from the center of the circle to any point on the circle. The circumference of a circle is equal to the diameter times pi (π). This relationship is expressed in the formula C = πd, where C is the circumference and d is the diameter.

5. If 2 points on a circle are the diameter, does that mean they are opposite each other?

Yes, if 2 points on a circle are the diameter, they are always located at opposite ends of the circle. This is because the diameter of a circle always passes through the center, which divides the circle into two equal halves. Therefore, the two points on the diameter will always be on opposite sides of the circle.