Where do I find examples of the gases that Dalton used

• Thread starter kjamha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gases
In summary, Dalton came up with his values of atomic weights for various elements by using ratios of gas mixtures, such as CO, CO2, and CuCO3 with a 3 to 4 ratio of C to O. However, he made some incorrect assumptions, such as believing that water and ammonia were binary compounds. There is a paper that may provide more specific examples, but it can be difficult to find this information online.
kjamha
I am trying to get a better idea of how Dalton came up with his values of atomic weights for various elements. I know that he used ratios of gas mixtures and I've read about CO, CO2 and CuCO3 (with the a 3 to 4 ratio of C to O). I would like to see many of his specific examples using his ratios, but I can not find this spelled out clearly anywhere on the web. Can anyone shed some light for me?

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This might help. He got many of them wrong. He incorrectly believed that water was a binary compound of one hydrogen and one oxygen and that ammonia likewise was a binary compound.

This paper is great!

Many Thanks.

What are the gases that Dalton used in his experiments?

In his experiments, Dalton used gases such as hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, and methane.

Where can I find examples of the gases used by Dalton?

You can find examples of these gases in the atmosphere, as they are naturally occurring. You can also purchase them from scientific suppliers.

Can I use any type of gas in my experiments, or do I have to use the same ones that Dalton used?

While Dalton's experiments used specific gases, you can use any gas that is available to you. However, it is important to understand the properties and behaviors of the gas you are using in your experiments.

How do I know which gases are suitable for my experiments?

It is important to research and understand the properties of different gases in order to determine which ones are suitable for your specific experiments. You can also consult with other scientists or reference materials for guidance.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when using gases in my experiments?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety protocols when handling and using gases in experiments. This may include wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and properly storing and disposing of the gases.