What are the differences between fuzzy logic control and PID control?

In summary, fuzzy logic control is just an improvement over bang-bang control system. It just appears to be discretized proportional control.
I_am_learning
I am trying to begin with fuzzy logic, but this initial question is preventing me from moving any forward.
It appears that fuzzy logic control is just an improvement over bang-bang control system. Like instead of doing bang-up , bang-down it does bang-up-hard, bang-up-small bang-down-small etc. It just appears to be discretized proportional control. If it is all about it, we have even better PID control, so why use fuzzy? Obviously I am missing something. Please help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What your missing is the needed process model. In siuations where close is good enough the bang up bang down method is fine. One example is tank filling.

However there are numerous situations that require tighter control. Some will accept a quartlery amplitude decay. Some need even further dampening to being critically dampened.

The key is the needs of the process.

Most "simple" control theory (e.g. PID system design) assumes the behaviour of the system is lnear and its transfer functions are known.

Fuzzy logic system design doesn't require either of those two assumptions.

In fuzzy logic control of temperature, you don't say temp is cold, instead you say temp is .83cold, so instead of doing heater on you do heater .83on.
I still find it fundamentally very similar to proportional control.
Can someone show me fundamental difference?

Rather than go into th extensive pros and cons of each this article has a well described comparison between the two. In many ways either can be used.

http://www.ece.uidaho.edu/ee/classes/ECE573F05/PID vs Fuzzy Control.pdf

one thing to note that this article does not discuss ifs the Kreiger Nickoles math usually give a quarterly amplitude decay.

thats 4 overshoots each overshoot less each time before it stabilizes on a setpoint. The math gets you close but not critically dampened. critically dampened is no overshoot a smooth transition to set point.

Last edited:
Mordred said:
Rather than go into th extensive pros and cons of each this article has a well described comparison between the two. In many ways either can be used.

http://www.ece.uidaho.edu/ee/classes/ECE573F05/PID vs Fuzzy Control.pdf

one thing to note that this article does not discuss ifs the Kreiger Nickoles math usually give a quarterly amplitude decay.

thats 4 overshoots each overshoot less each time before it stabilizes on a setpoint. The math gets you close but not critically dampened. critically dampened is no overshoot a smooth transition to set point.
Thanks.
The article looks just like what I was looking for.
I will read it thoroughly and come with more questions if required.

What is the difference between fuzzy logic control and PID control?

Fuzzy logic control and PID control are two different types of control systems used in engineering and science. Fuzzy logic control uses linguistic variables and if-then rules to make decisions, while PID control uses mathematical algorithms and feedback loops to adjust a system's output. Fuzzy logic control is better suited for complex or nonlinear systems, while PID control is more commonly used for linear systems.

Which is better, fuzzy logic control or PID control?

The answer to this question depends on the specific application and system being controlled. In general, fuzzy logic control is better for systems with complex or nonlinear dynamics, while PID control is better for simpler, linear systems. It is also possible to combine fuzzy logic control and PID control to create a hybrid control system that takes advantage of the strengths of both methods.

What are the advantages of using fuzzy logic control over PID control?

One of the main advantages of fuzzy logic control over PID control is its ability to handle complex and nonlinear systems. Fuzzy logic control also does not require a mathematical model of the system, making it easier to implement in real-world applications. Additionally, fuzzy logic control can handle imprecise or uncertain data, while PID control relies on precise mathematical calculations.

What are the disadvantages of using fuzzy logic control compared to PID control?

One disadvantage of fuzzy logic control is that it can be more difficult to tune and optimize compared to PID control. This is because fuzzy logic control relies on linguistic rules and variables, which may be subjective and require expert knowledge to define. Additionally, fuzzy logic control may not perform as well in certain types of systems, such as those with fast response times or highly precise control requirements.

Can fuzzy logic control and PID control be used together?

Yes, it is possible to combine fuzzy logic control and PID control to create a hybrid control system. This can take advantage of the strengths of both methods and improve overall system performance. For example, fuzzy logic control can be used to handle complex or uncertain data, while PID control can fine-tune the system's output based on feedback from sensors. However, this approach may be more complex to implement and require more resources compared to using just one type of control system.