Register to reply

Potential energy of pendulum in terms of displacement.

by Nuclearturtle
Tags: displacement, energy, pendulum, potential, terms
Share this thread:
Nuclearturtle
Mar28-13, 02:39 PM
P: 3
Hi guys, I'm having troubles finding how to write the potential energy of a 1D pendulum down. In terms of displacement however. This should be easy and it is, but my professor had this nice "clean" solution whereas mine is really dreadfull, any help? :)

edit: Ok nvm guys. I was thinking I went crazy for not finding it, since I almost have my physics license. But my professor used a Taylor approximation, nothing to worry about.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
Nuclearturtle
Mar28-13, 02:56 PM
By the way this is not homework, just a serious question to try to solve coupled harmonic oscillators :(
BruceW
Mar28-13, 07:29 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,448
hi, turtle :) welcome to physicsforums

Do you still have a question about pendulums? I agree Taylor approximation is the way to go. (That's why they say 'for small angles'). Also, do you mean 2D pendulum. And what's a physics license?!

Nuclearturtle
Mar29-13, 04:56 PM
Potential energy of pendulum in terms of displacement.

I meant a 1D pendulum in the sense that it only oscilates in one (!) direction. Of course this could represent a real 3D pendulum oscillating along just one axis.

Concerning the physics license, I didn't know how to sai it right, I meant physics degree or something like that. Lets just say I'm studying physics! This being the reason why I was so concerned not finding this "easy" solution :)

Thx for offering help anyway!

Register to reply