Electrostatics in RC\DC Circuits-feedback process

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of understanding the physics behind circuits and the importance of analyzing circuits in a microscopic and electrostatic way. It also mentions the concept of feedback processes and the need for a constant current in a wire with constant resistance. The conversation also raises questions about the equalization of currents and the role of surface charges in this process.
Dweirdo
Hello,

I've always had problems conceptualizing the physics behind circuits, and it always felt like information is hidden from me.

Lately I've been trying to analyze circuits in the microscopic and electrostatic way, as i think it is crucial for real understanding of circuit concepts.

I've found many articles suggesting about the surface charges piled on the surface of the wires that finally make the nearly steady and parallel to the wire electric field that moves the free electrons inside the wire(knowledge that wasn't given in any introductory physics course i know of).

Anyway, there is one concept which is mentioned in all these articles and chabay's textbook but isn't covered to it's fullest(IMO), the feedback process.
That fast process where the electrons move and pile periodically so that the circuit will finally be in a steady-state, where the current is constant.
I'm interested in the way it happens, both the mathematical and conceptual ideas behind this process, why is the current must be constant through a wire with constant resistance.

Why a state where current I1 is entering a section of a wire and a current I2 leaves this section where I2 < I1, is not a stable state , and it will tend to equalize these two Currents?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dweirdo said:
Why a state where current I1 is entering a section of a wire and a current I2 leaves this section where I2 < I1, is not a stable state , and it will tend to equalize these two Currents?

If I2 < I1 then the charge of that section of wire is increasing. Unless I2 eventually approaches I1, the charge in the section of wire and the potential energy would grow towards infinity!

That seems reasonable, I'm interested in they way these currents are equalized, the access charge in that section sticks to the surface of the wire(how does it get there??) and dampens I1 and Increases I2?

1. What is the difference between RC and DC circuits?

RC circuits refer to circuits that contain both a resistor and a capacitor, while DC circuits contain only direct current sources and resistors. The main difference between the two is that RC circuits can store and release electrical energy, while DC circuits only allow current to flow in one direction.

2. How does electrostatics play a role in RC/DC circuits?

Electrostatics, or the study of electric charges at rest, is an important concept in RC/DC circuits. In these circuits, the capacitor stores electrical charge, which creates an electrostatic field. This field can then interact with the rest of the circuit, affecting the flow of current and voltage.

3. What is the feedback process in RC/DC circuits?

The feedback process in RC/DC circuits refers to the transfer of information between different components in the circuit. This can involve the capacitor releasing stored charge, which affects the flow of current and voltage in the circuit. Feedback is essential in maintaining stability and regulating the behavior of the circuit.

4. How does feedback affect the behavior of RC/DC circuits?

The feedback process in RC/DC circuits is crucial in achieving stability and controlling the behavior of the circuit. By regulating the flow of current and voltage, feedback helps to maintain a steady output and prevent fluctuations or oscillations in the circuit. It also allows for adjustments to be made to the circuit in response to changes in input or external conditions.

5. What are some real-life applications of RC/DC circuits with feedback?

RC/DC circuits with feedback have a wide range of applications in various industries. Some common examples include power supplies, audio amplifiers, and electronic filters. They are also used in electronic devices such as televisions, computers, and smartphones. In addition, feedback in RC/DC circuits is essential in the functioning of control systems, such as in robotics and automation.