Register to reply

Lagrangian density for fields

Share this thread:
spookyfish
Oct24-13, 11:34 PM
P: 53
This is probably a minor point, but I have seen in some QFT texts the Euler-Lagrange equation for a scalar field,

[tex] \partial_{\mu} \left(\frac{\delta \cal{L}}{\delta (\partial_{\mu}\phi)}\right) - \frac{\delta \cal L}{\delta \phi }=0 [/tex]

i.e. [itex] \cal L [/itex] is treated like a functional (seen from the [itex] \delta [/itex] symbol). But why would it be a functional? Functonals map functions into numbers, and in our case [itex] \cal L [/itex] is a function of the fields (and their derivatives).
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
fzero
Oct25-13, 12:01 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,602
If you want to be completely rigorous, the action is the true functional. The variational derivatives of the Lagrangian (density) should be considered distributions.
spookyfish
Oct25-13, 08:46 AM
P: 53
But why should there be a functional derivative of [itex] \cal L [/itex]? we have [itex] \cal L [/itex] which is a function of [itex] (\phi, \partial_\mu \phi) [/itex] and we differentiate (as a function) with respect to [itex] \partial_\mu \phi [/itex]

Bill_K
Oct25-13, 09:18 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,160
Lagrangian density for fields

Quote Quote by spookyfish View Post
This is probably a minor point, but I have seen in some QFT texts the Euler-Lagrange equation for a scalar field,

[tex] \partial_{\mu} \left(\frac{\delta \cal{L}}{\delta (\partial_{\mu}\phi)}\right) - \frac{\delta \cal L}{\delta \phi }=0 [/tex]

i.e. [itex] \cal L [/itex] is treated like a functional (seen from the [itex] \delta [/itex] symbol). But why would it be a functional? Functonals map functions into numbers, and in our case [itex] \cal L [/itex] is a function of the fields (and their derivatives).
If they wrote it that way it's a misprint. The derivatives should be ∂'s, not δ's.
fzero
Oct25-13, 10:46 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,602
Quote Quote by spookyfish View Post
But why should there be a functional derivative of [itex] \cal L [/itex]? we have [itex] \cal L [/itex] which is a function of [itex] (\phi, \partial_\mu \phi) [/itex] and we differentiate (as a function) with respect to [itex] \partial_\mu \phi [/itex]
It's common to abuse the notation and use ##\delta## for these derivatives in order to distinguish them from the coordinate derivatives ##\partial_\mu##.

Register to reply