Register to reply

How do proteins get into the blood stream?

by Tanarif
Tags: blood, proteins, stream
Share this thread:
Tanarif
Nov19-13, 04:41 PM
P: 7
Hi there,

So I'm asking this in reference to the injection of insulin, which is commonly done subcutaneously (in the hypodermis, a fatty part of skin). Now I know proteins usually get into the blood when digested through the stomach/intestines - but I was wondering how they manage to get into the blood when injected into muscles/fat? I know there are capillaries pretty much everywhere, but from what I've researched proteins are too large to get through capillary walls.

That begs the question then, how do proteins manage to get into the blood stream when injected? I can't really envisage large capillaries, because surely they'd have huge holes in them or whatever to allow large proteins like insulin in. Any help on this one?

Cheers
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Scottish zoo: 'Bad news' for pregnant giant panda
DNA may have had humble beginnings as nutrient carrier
Central biobank for drug research
SW VandeCarr
Nov19-13, 11:54 PM
P: 2,501
Quote Quote by Tanarif View Post

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

That begs the question then, how do proteins manage to get into the blood stream when injected? I can't really envisage large capillaries, because surely they'd have huge holes in them or whatever to allow large proteins like insulin in. Any help on this one?

Cheers
Lymphatic capillaries are permeable to proteins. They lack tight intercellular junctions and are permeable to many kinds of molecules.

http://jcb.rupress.org/content/50/2/300.full.pdf
Tanarif
Nov20-13, 12:43 PM
P: 7
Quote Quote by SW VandeCarr View Post
Lymphatic capillaries are permeable to proteins. They lack tight intercellular junctions and are permeable to many kinds of molecules.

http://jcb.rupress.org/content/50/2/300.full.pdf
Ah thanks a ton, precisely what I was looking for.

Register to reply