Large Sign. Need help calculating pipe size.

• Thread starter rsallee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pipe Sign
In summary, the individual is building a large sign and is seeking help in determining if 8-5/8 pipe is sufficient for the sign in Oklahoma's windy conditions. They have suggested looking at similar signs in the neighborhood or seeking an estimate from a local sign company. They are also considering using two columns for stability and have found a reference to a sign company that has signs of similar size.
rsallee
Building a large sign. I've attached a drawing of what I'm doing. I need to make sure that 8-5/8 pipe is sufficient for sign. I live in Oklahoma and we get some nasty winds as well. Please help. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• kwick.scematic.PNG
    kwick.scematic.PNG
    4.9 KB · Views: 557
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your best bet is to look around your neighborhood for a sign with similar area and construction and see what piping support they use.

You could also pitch your sign project to some local sign company for an estimate and they may show you the piping they will use.

I am the sign co. This is much bigger than I typically do.

rsallee said:
I am the sign co. This is much bigger than I typically do.

How did you decide on your piping diameter? Did you use a prior project and scale it up?

Have you seen any traffic signs of a similar size?

I'm thinking that you may need two columns instead of one for stability.

1. What is a "Large Sign" and why is pipe size important for it?

A large sign is a structure that displays information or advertisements, typically seen on buildings or along roads. Pipe size is important for a large sign because it determines the flow rate and pressure of the liquid or gas being transported through the pipes, which can impact the stability and functionality of the sign.

2. How do I calculate the pipe size needed for a large sign?

The pipe size needed for a large sign can be calculated by considering the flow rate and pressure requirements, as well as the material and length of the pipes. This calculation can be done using various formulas and equations, or with the help of online calculators or engineering software.

3. What factors should I consider when choosing the pipe size for a large sign?

Some important factors to consider when choosing the pipe size for a large sign include the intended use of the sign, the type of fluid or gas being transported, the distance the pipes will need to cover, and any potential obstructions or obstacles along the piping route.

4. Are there any regulations or standards for pipe size in relation to large signs?

Yes, there are regulations and standards set by organizations such as the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) that provide guidelines for pipe sizing in various applications, including large signs. It is important to consult these standards and regulations when determining the appropriate pipe size for a large sign.

5. Can I use different pipe sizes for different parts of a large sign?

Yes, it is possible to use different pipe sizes for different parts of a large sign. This may be necessary to accommodate different flow rates or pressures, or to work around any obstacles or space limitations. However, it is important to ensure that the overall design and layout of the pipes still meets the necessary requirements for the sign to function properly.