Calculating Gear Ratios With Restrictions

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of achieving an exact 1:60 gear ratio using three gear sizes with 14, 34, and 84 teeth respectively. Despite attempting to decompose the numbers into prime factors and using unlimited gear and space, it is concluded that an exact 1:60 ratio is impossible without gears with a teeth number that is a multiple of 5. The purpose of this challenge is to build an accurate K'nex clock.
DarthRiko
I have three sizes of gears with 14, 34, and 84 teeth respectively.
I need an exact 1:60 gear ratio.

The problem I am finding is that 14:34 and 34:84 are very close to the same value.
14 and 84 is 1:6, but without a 1:10, that doesn't get me far.

The closest I can get is 7:612 (1:87.42857...)

I would greatly appreciate some help here. Assume I have unlimited gear and space.

For those of you wondering, I'm attempting to build an accurate K'nex clock.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
DarthRiko said:
I have three sizes of gears with 14, 34, and 84 teeth respectively.
I need an exact 1:60 gear ratio. ...
Assume I have unlimited gear and space.

It's simply impossible. Decompose your numbers in prime factors: 14 is 2x7, 34 is 2x17, 84 is 2x2x3x7, 60 is 2x2x3x5. When you couple two gearwheels with N1 and N2 teeth, their rotational speed ratio is the rational (Oh really? :smile:) number N1/N2; for a gear train, will be N1/N2*N3/N4*N5/N6..., i.e., with your gears, a number expressed by a fraction containing products of several 2,3,7 and 17 in both numerator and denominator. It will never be 60, at most some approximation.

DarthRiko said:
For those of you wondering, I'm attempting to build an accurate K'nex clock.

If you cannot use gears with a teeth number multiple of 5, after days, months or years, your minute clock hand will be on 12 while the hours hand is between 1 and 2...

Last edited:

Question 1: What is a gear ratio?

A gear ratio is a numerical representation of the relationship between the number of teeth on two adjacent gears. It is used to determine the speed and torque of a gear system.

Question 2: How do you calculate gear ratios?

To calculate a gear ratio, you need to divide the number of teeth on the output gear by the number of teeth on the input gear. The resulting number is the gear ratio.

Question 3: What are gear ratio restrictions?

Gear ratio restrictions refer to the limitations on the gear ratio that can be used in a particular gear system. These restrictions are usually determined by the design and functionality of the system, as well as the physical constraints of the gears.

Question 4: How do you calculate gear ratios with restrictions?

To calculate gear ratios with restrictions, you first need to determine the maximum and minimum gear ratios allowed for the system. Then, you can use these values to determine the appropriate gear ratio by reducing or increasing the number of teeth on the gears. This process may require multiple iterations to find the best-fit gear ratio within the given restrictions.

Question 5: Why are gear ratios important in science and engineering?

Gear ratios are essential in science and engineering because they allow us to control the speed and torque of mechanical systems. By choosing the appropriate gear ratio, we can optimize the performance of these systems for various applications, such as power transmission, motion control, and speed reduction.