Yarman Geometric Norm or Impedence Normalization

In summary: And yes, the manual does mention that the normalization process is specific to the software. Thank you!In summary, the individual is working with old software to optimize antenna networks and is having trouble understanding the concept of normalizing impedances to 1 ohm. They also mention a Yarman geometric norm, which is not easily found through research. They speculate that the normalization process involves dividing all impedances by the characteristic impedance of the system and suggest looking for more information through the company or authors of the manual. The individual then thanks Aleph for their help and confirms that the normalization process is specific to the software being used.
anothnagle
I'm working with some old software to optimize antenna networks, and I've come across some stuff that I don't understand. For the software to run, all impedence values entered must be normalized to 1 ohm. What does it mean to normalize an impedence and how do I do it? Also, the manual for the software keeps referring to a Yarman geometric norm when it talks about normalizing these impedences. What is a Yarman geometric norm?

I apologize if I sound daft. Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
anothnagle said:
I'm working with some old software to optimize antenna networks, and I've come across some stuff that I don't understand. For the software to run, all impedence values entered must be normalized to 1 ohm. What does it mean to normalize an impedence and how do I do it? Also, the manual for the software keeps referring to a Yarman geometric norm when it talks about normalizing these impedences. What is a Yarman geometric norm?

I apologize if I sound daft. Any help would be much appreciated!

Hmm. Google is not very helpful with Yarman geometric norm, which is strange.

I'd guess that normalization would just be dividing all impedances by the characteristic impedance of the system you are working with (50 Ohms or 75 Ohms, etc.). But I suppose it could be more complicated than that.

The manual doesn't list any references? Does the company still exist and have a website? If not, do you see any author names that you could try to figure out how to contact to ask your questions?

Likes 1 person
Thanks Aleph! :smile:

Oh, okay! That actually makes more sense considering that the software uses the real frequency technique.

1. What is Yarman Geometric Norm or Impedence Normalization?

Yarman Geometric Norm or Impedence Normalization is a mathematical method used in signal processing to reduce the effects of impedance variations in electrical circuits. It involves scaling the amplitude of a signal by a factor that is inversely proportional to the circuit's impedance.

2. How does Yarman Geometric Norm or Impedence Normalization work?

The method works by dividing the amplitude of a signal by the square root of the circuit's impedance. This ensures that the amplitude of the signal remains constant, regardless of any impedance variations in the circuit. This is especially useful in high-frequency circuits where impedance variations can significantly affect the signal's amplitude.

3. What are the benefits of using Yarman Geometric Norm or Impedence Normalization?

Using Yarman Geometric Norm or Impedence Normalization can improve the accuracy and reliability of signal measurements in electrical circuits. It also helps to reduce the effects of noise and interference, resulting in a cleaner and more stable signal.

4. Can Yarman Geometric Norm or Impedence Normalization be used in all types of circuits?

While it is commonly used in high-frequency circuits, Yarman Geometric Norm or Impedence Normalization can be applied to all types of circuits that experience impedance variations. However, the method may not be as effective in low-frequency circuits where impedance variations have minimal impact on the signal.

5. Are there any limitations to Yarman Geometric Norm or Impedence Normalization?

One limitation of this method is that it requires knowledge of the circuit's impedance, which may not always be readily available. Additionally, it may not be suitable for circuits with highly variable impedances, as the scaling factor may need to be constantly adjusted. Other factors such as component tolerances and temperature changes can also affect the effectiveness of Yarman Geometric Norm or Impedence Normalization.