Completely dissolving a gas into a liquid

• Thread starter warfreak131
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Liquid
In summary: This is done by using a CO2 cylinder, which is pressurized with carbon dioxide. After the cylinder is pressurized, you open the valve and add a few blasts of CO2 to the cylinder. This pressurizes the gas and makes it more likely to dissolve in the liquid.
warfreak131
Hello PF

I want to dissolve a gas in a liquid. I figured I could create a closed loop vacuum system. I introduce gas into the lines at atmospheric pressure, and then close off the lines, so the intake and exhaust of the vacuum pump are connected. Then I turn the pump on and the gas just runs through the liquid again and again and again until its completely dissolved.

Do you think that would work?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's not completely clear what you are trying to accomplish.

A given amount of liquid will be able to hold only so much gas, depending on the ambient temperature and pressure of the liquid. If the liquid reaches its saturation temperature for its pressure, it cannot hold any dissolved gasses at all. This is a consequence of Henry's Law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry's_law

Ok, I'll try to clarify. (see attached pic) Let's say I want to re-carbonate soda that's gone flat. I would put soda in a vessel which will allow CO2 to pass through it. And then the CO2 just flows through the soda again and again until its dissolved as much as possible.

If I cool down the liquid, more gas would be able to dissolve correct? Also, if gas makes it through the liquid without dissolving, will at least cool down, making it more likely to dissolve on the second pass?

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.jpg
    New Bitmap Image.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 552
You might get some CO2 to re-dissolve, but nowhere near the amount of CO2 the liquid originally contained. That's why soda pop is bottled under pressure: the higher pressure means more CO2 gas is dissolved, and when you open the container and release this pressure, some of the CO2 comes out of solution and makes the bubbles appear.

And using a vacuum pump just means you are lowering the pressure of the liquid, which in turn reduces the saturation temperature of the liquid, which means less gas is going to dissolve in the liquid.

Since you are specifically talking about carbonation, perhaps this article might help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonation

Hmmm, then what would be the best way to maximize the amount dissolved? I was thinking, if I added a 1 way valve into the system, then it would draw in air consistently as long as the system isn't at atmosphere. So if anything happened where the pressure of the soda wasn't at atmosphere, the 1 way valve would allow air in, restoring the pressure.

Otherwise, what's a good way to carbonate something. I know that product soda-stream uses a compressed CO2 cylinder and you just add a few blasts of CO2 to the soda. So would it be better to compress the gas first?

Yes.

1. How does a gas completely dissolve into a liquid?

A gas completely dissolves into a liquid through a process called dissolution. This occurs when the gas molecules are surrounded by the molecules of the liquid and are dispersed evenly throughout the liquid.

2. What factors affect the rate of gas dissolution into a liquid?

The rate of gas dissolution into a liquid is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the solubility of the gas in the liquid. Higher temperatures and pressures generally increase the rate of dissolution, while lower solubility of the gas in the liquid can slow down the process.

3. What is the purpose of completely dissolving a gas into a liquid?

Completely dissolving a gas into a liquid is often done for practical purposes, such as in the carbonation of beverages or in the absorption of gases in industrial processes. It can also be used in scientific experiments to create a homogeneous mixture or to extract a gas from a liquid.

4. Can all gases be completely dissolved into liquids?

No, not all gases can be completely dissolved into liquids. The solubility of a gas in a liquid depends on the properties of both the gas and the liquid. Some gases, such as helium, have low solubility in most liquids and therefore cannot be completely dissolved.

5. How can the amount of gas dissolved in a liquid be measured?

The amount of gas dissolved in a liquid can be measured using various methods, including gas chromatography, spectroscopy, or by measuring changes in volume or pressure. These methods can also be used to determine the solubility of a gas in a specific liquid under certain conditions.