Stem Cell Research: Pros and Cons

In summary, the Federal regulators approved a procedure to transplant fetal stem cells into human brains in order to treat a rare, fatal genetic disorder.

What do you think about stem cell research

• I am in favor

Votes: 26 89.7%
  • I am not

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
Mk
What do you think?

[edit:are you in favor of embryonic cell research or not?]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
About what

I just gave a presentation on this three days ago!

I say good!

wtf i JUST posted it how did you vote!

YOu voted BEFORE ME too!

nope, can't kil a human in hope that something else will get better.

Cosmo, could you explain that better ?

Cosmo16 said:
nope, can't kil a human in hope that something else will get better.

Generally, the embryo's used were going to go to waste anyway(I think), so it's that or nothing. Plus, all federally funded embryonic stem cell research uses stemm cells from stem cell lines with the original group of embryonic stem cells from pre 2001. Bassically, before 2001, if a lab took some stem cells from an embryo, they could divide the stem cells as they pleased, and now the funded research strictly uses these replicated cells, therefore not "killing" any more embryos.

Second of all, an embryo is just a ball of cells, no brain, no heart, no organs whatsoever!

Third, what about Adult Stem Cells?

Stem cell research can do so much, we need it. It's not killing a person. Do you have any idea how many fertilized embryos are destroyed by fertility clinics if the "owners" decide they no longer need them?

There are already multiple threads in biology on this topic.

You should be more specific with your question: I suspect you are asking only whether or not we support the use of embryonic stem cells in research.

I don't have a question, I was just intending this thread to be a discussion on morals, cultures, relation to religion, what PF users think, etc.

I realize that I left it so open ended that readers were confused where to go with it.

Most of you seem to think that an embryo at the stage that its stem cells are to be taken out, is not alive yet therefore you are not killing it. Correct?

What about adult stem cells? How usable are these? How quickly are systems to isolate them developing? I read a few months ago some researchers developed a blood filtering system.

Mk said:
I don't have a question, I was just intending this thread to be a discussion on morals, cultures, relation to religion, what PF users think, etc.

I meant the question for the poll. The answers will likely change depending on whether you are asking about embyronic stem cell research or non-embryonic stem cell research, the latter of which I cannot imagine any reason for a person to be against. Then again, for that reason, I also think it is clear that you are asking about embryonic stem-cell research. I'm just trying to make sure.

moose said:
I just gave a presentation on this three days ago!
What was in your presentation?

I think we should definitely go through with stem cell research.

In today's news and relevant to this thread:
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20051021/D8DCNN9G0.html
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Federal regulators on Thursday approved what would be the first transplant of fetal stem cells into human brains, a procedure that if successful could open the door to treating a host of neural disorders.
The transplant recipients will be children who suffer from a rare, fatal genetic disorder.
The Food and Drug Administration said that doctors at Stanford University Medical Center can begin the testing on six children afflicted with Batten disease, a degenerative malady that renders its young victims blind, speechless and paralyzed before it kills them.
An internal Stanford review board must still approve the test, a process that could take weeks.

The stem cells to be transplanted in the brain aren't human embryonic stem cells, which are derived from days-old embryos. Instead, the cells are immature neural cells that are destined to turn into the mature cells that makeup a fully formed brain.

As long as the extraction isn't killing or has a chance of harming the embryo, I'm okay with it. Killing a baby to save an old man is wrong, plain and simple.

This, coming from a guy who lives in McDonalds.

Heh, funny thing, I don't even like McDonalds.

Entropy said:
As long as the extraction isn't killing or has a chance of harming the embryo, I'm okay with it. Killing a baby to save an old man is wrong, plain and simple.
And what if the embryo will be dying anyway? I don't think embryonic stem cell research includes the development of embryos specifically for research purposes. They just use ones that will be "thrown out" or what ever they do with them if they aren't utilized in some fashion. Correct me if I'm wrong.

TheStatutoryApe said:
And what if the embryo will be dying anyway? I don't think embryonic stem cell research includes the development of embryos specifically for research purposes. They just use ones that will be "thrown out" or what ever they do with them if they aren't utilized in some fashion. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You're correct. Even when embryos are the source of the cells, they are ones discarded anyway. Though, I suppose all those extras generated by the fertility clinics can just continue to be stored frozen for all eternity...or at least until someone forgets to pay the electric bill. :uhh:

But you are still killing it to save an old man. Right Right??

Last edited:
Mk said:
But you are still killing it to save an old man.
Killing what? A ball of cells? And who says it will go to save an old man? Did you read the article I linked to earlier? That's going to save young children.

I like young children.

Killing what? A ball of cells? And who says it will go to save an old man? Did you read the article I linked to earlier? That's going to save young children.

A grown human is a ball of cells too, you know.

Moonbear said:
In today's news and relevant to this thread:
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20051021/D8DCNN9G0.html
To me it sounds a lot like organ doning, what happened back when that was getting started? Its like cutting out one of somebody's kidneys and transplanting it into someone that has a broken kidney!

Entropy said:
A grown human is a ball of cells too, you know.

With that logic, so are ants.

And lions!

eh, i wrote a paper about this last year, in our bio class.

Mk said:
And lions!
And bears! Oh MY!

1. What are stem cells and why are they important in research?

Stem cells are undifferentiated cells that have the ability to develop into different types of cells in the body. They are important in research because they have the potential to treat a wide range of diseases and injuries by replacing damaged or diseased cells.

2. What are the potential benefits of stem cell research?

Stem cell research has the potential to provide new treatments and cures for diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, diabetes, and spinal cord injuries. It can also lead to a better understanding of how diseases develop and progress, allowing for more effective prevention and treatment.

3. What are the ethical concerns surrounding stem cell research?

One of the main ethical concerns surrounding stem cell research is the use of embryonic stem cells, which involves the destruction of human embryos. This is seen as controversial by some due to the belief that human life begins at conception. Another concern is the potential for commercialization and exploitation of stem cell treatments.

4. Are there any alternatives to using embryonic stem cells in research?

Yes, there are alternative sources of stem cells that do not involve the use of human embryos. These include adult stem cells, which can be found in various tissues in the body, and induced pluripotent stem cells, which are created by reprogramming adult cells to behave like embryonic stem cells.

5. What are the current regulations and laws surrounding stem cell research?

The regulations and laws surrounding stem cell research vary by country and state. In the United States, federal funding for embryonic stem cell research is limited and subject to strict guidelines. However, there are also state laws that may provide additional funding and regulations. It is important for researchers to carefully adhere to all applicable laws and regulations when conducting stem cell research.