What does a catalyst do in a chemical reaction?

In summary, a catalyst in a chemical reaction reduces the amount of energy needed for molecules to react, allowing more molecules to undergo the reaction. Catalysts achieve this by lowering the energy of activation and providing an alternate mechanism for the reaction. A helpful resource for understanding catalysts and their mechanisms is the website http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/catalysis/introduction.html#top.
PPonte
What does a catalyst in a chemical reaction? I read wikipedia and the information is not very detailed to satisfy me. It basically says:

This means that catalysts reduce the amount of energy needed to start a chemical reaction. Molecules that would not have had the energy to react or that have such low energies that they probably would have taken a long time to react are able to react in the presence of a catalyst. Thus, more molecules that need to gain less energy to react will go through the chemical reaction.

Physics news on Phys.org
What a catalyst usually does is to lower the Energy of activation of the reaction by offering an alternate mechanism.

siddharth said:
What a catalyst usually does is to lower the Energy of activation of the reaction by offering an alternate mechanism.

Precisely, but in what consists this alternate mechanism?

Thank you very much, siddharth. How do you find these sites? I have searched a lot.

PPonte said:
Thank you very much, siddharth. How do you find these sites? I have searched a lot.

That was luck. I was trying to find a link to show you how V2O5 works as a catalyst in the contact process, when I came across this site.

1. How does a catalyst speed up a chemical reaction?

A catalyst works by lowering the activation energy required for a chemical reaction to occur. This means that the reaction can happen at a faster rate, without needing as much energy.

2. Can a catalyst be used in any chemical reaction?

No, a catalyst is specific to certain types of reactions. It needs to have a compatible molecular structure to interact with the reactants and facilitate the reaction.

3. What happens to a catalyst during a chemical reaction?

A catalyst remains unchanged and is not consumed during the reaction. It may undergo temporary bonding with the reactants, but it will be regenerated at the end of the reaction.

4. How does a catalyst affect the equilibrium of a chemical reaction?

A catalyst does not affect the equilibrium of a chemical reaction. It only speeds up the rate at which the reaction reaches equilibrium, but it does not change the position of the equilibrium itself.

5. Can a catalyst be reused in multiple reactions?

Yes, a catalyst can be reused in multiple reactions. As it is not consumed during the reaction, it can be recovered and used again in subsequent reactions.