Need recommendations for math books

In summary, the speaker is reading Penrose's "The Road to Reality" and is stuck on chapter 7, which covers complex number calculus. They found a helpful resource online and plan to continue reading before seeking recommendations for other math books to supplement their understanding. They express a goal of fully understanding Penrose's book.
Physics_wiz
So, I'm reading Penrose's "The Road To Reality". I got stuck in chapter 7 that has to do with complex number calculus. A quick google search returned this: http://www.math.gatech.edu/~cain/winter99/complex.html

I plan on getting through that (or part of it) before returning to Penrose's book. I need some good math books recommendations to get me through the first 17 chapters though. I don't really know where else I'll have to put Penrose's book down and learn something new so any recommendations from someone who read Penrose's book would be helpful. My goal is to just get through this whole book and understand everything in it.

Physics news on Phys.org
you could just post the specific questions you have from penrose on here and we will answer them one at a time. should be quicker than learning all the math he uses in there systematically

like by 20 or 30 years.

There are many great math books out there that can help supplement your understanding of complex number calculus and other topics covered in Penrose's "The Road to Reality". Some recommendations include "Introduction to Complex Analysis" by H.A. Priestley, "Complex Variables: Introduction and Applications" by Mark J. Ablowitz and A. S. Fokas, and "Complex Analysis" by Lars V. Ahlfors. These books provide clear explanations and examples that can help deepen your understanding of complex numbers and their applications.

Additionally, I would suggest checking out online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare, which offer free lectures and practice problems on complex analysis and other math topics. It may also be helpful to join online forums or groups where you can discuss difficult concepts with others who have read Penrose's book and can offer insights and tips.

Remember, learning complex number calculus and other advanced math concepts takes time and practice. Don't be discouraged if you find yourself struggling at times. Keep pushing through and seeking out additional resources, and you will eventually reach your goal of understanding everything in Penrose's book. Good luck!

What are some good math books for beginners?

Some good math books for beginners include "Mathematics: Its Content, Methods and Meaning" by A.N. Kolmogorov, "How to Solve It" by G. Polya, and "The Art of Problem Solving" by Richard Rusczyk. These books provide a solid foundation in basic mathematical concepts and problem-solving techniques.

Are there any math books that cover advanced topics?

Yes, there are many math books that cover advanced topics. Some popular options include "The Princeton Companion to Mathematics" by Timothy Gowers, "Introduction to Topology" by Bert Mendelson, and "Group Theory: A First Course" by Cyril F. Gardiner. These books delve into more complex mathematical concepts and are suitable for advanced students and researchers.

What are some math books that focus on specific topics?

There are many math books that focus on specific topics such as calculus, algebra, geometry, and statistics. Some examples include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Abstract Algebra" by David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote, and "The Geometry of Schemes" by David Eisenbud and Joe Harris. These books provide in-depth coverage of specific mathematical topics.

Are there any math books that include practical applications?

Yes, there are math books that include practical applications. Some examples include "Mathematics for Machine Learning" by Marc Peter Deisenroth, "Statistics for Data Science" by James D. Miller, and "Mathematical Modeling: Applications with GeoGebra" by Jonas Hall. These books demonstrate how mathematical concepts can be applied in real-world scenarios.

Where can I find reviews or recommendations for math books?

You can find reviews and recommendations for math books on websites such as Goodreads, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. You can also ask for recommendations from math teachers or professors, as well as fellow students or colleagues who have read and enjoyed certain math books.