Quick Question about Electric Fields

In summary, electric field lines always point towards a region of lower potential. This is because the negative sign in the equation E=-grad[V] means that the field is pointing down the gradient of the potential, towards a lower potential. This can be thought of similarly to how objects subject to a conservative force "want" to get into a state with the lowest possible potential. While a single negatively-charged point charge would have the field pointing towards it, in more complicated situations with multiple charges, the field can point towards different regions. Therefore, "a region of lower potential" is the correct answer.
jakeowens
Electric field lines always point toward:

(_) positive charge
(_) a region of higher potential
(_) ground
(_) a region of lower potential
(X) none of these

Now, i thought that electric fields point towards the negative charge. I submitted my homework, and i missed it. I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me why electric field lines don't point toward a negative charge. Everything i read lead me to that conclusion, so i put "none of these" and missed it. Is the correct answer "a region of lower potential"

I'd just like to know cause i thought i did, but apparently didnt.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm. That's a tricky one. I think the most accurate answer would have been that electric field lines always originate on + charges and terminate on - charges, like the lines of an electric dipole. And if you think about the dipole and it's E-field fountains, yeah it's true that the E-field doesn't point directly at a charge for a lot of its shape. So I'd be inclined to say that answer (d) above seems pretty close, since E=-grad[V]. Was (d) the correct answer?

I believe that's how many undergrad textbooks (somewhat sloppily) put it: [tex]\vec{E}\left(\vec{r}\right)=-\vec{\nabla}V\left(\vec{r}\right)[/tex] implies that the field lines go from a region of lower potential to a region of higher potential.

No, the negative sign means that the E field is pointing down the gradient of the potential V, toward a lower potential. Think about what a positive charge does in the presence of an electric field -- it accelerates in the direction of the E field. That means it gains KE and loses PE. Just like a mass accelerates in the direction of the gravitational field, and gains KE and loses PE.

berkeman said:
No, the negative sign means that the E field is pointing down the gradient of the potential V, toward a lower potential.

Big whoops. Thanks. I wrote the opposite of what I meant :/

Gravitation is a good analogy, I like that.

To the OP:
You probably remember from classical mechanics that for conservative forces, [tex]\vec{F} = -\vec{\nabla}V[/tex]. A way to think about this is that things subject to this force "want" to get into a state with the lowest possible potential (think of dropping a ball).

jakeowens said:
Now, i thought that electric fields point towards the negative charge. I submitted my homework, and i missed it. I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me why electric field lines don't point toward a negative charge. Everything i read lead me to that conclusion, so i put "none of these" and missed it.
If you just had a single negatively-charged point charge, then the field everywhere would point towards the negative charge. But, when there are other charges around, things get more complicated. (For example, what if there were two negative charges? The field everywhere can't point towards both if the charges are separate.)

Note that they wisely did not list "negative charge" as an option.
Is the correct answer "a region of lower potential"
Yes. As others have pointed out, this is always true and is the right answer.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space surrounding a charged particle or object where another charged particle or object will experience a force.

How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by a charged particle or object. The strength of the field is determined by the magnitude and direction of the charge.

What is the unit of measurement for electric field?

The unit of measurement for electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C).

How is the direction of an electric field determined?

The direction of an electric field is determined by the direction a positive test charge would move if placed in the field. The direction of the field lines point away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

What are some applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many practical applications, such as in electronic devices, power generation, and medical imaging. They are also used in particle accelerators and in the study of plasma physics.