A gravity calculusy kind of quesiton

• Thread starter RooftopDuvet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, to write an equation for the velocity of an object released at a high altitude above the Earth that takes into account the square increase in acceleration with displacement, use the formula \frac{d^2s}{dt^2}= \frac{-GM}{(R+s)^2}. This can be solved by letting v= ds/dt and integrating vdv= -\frac{GMds}{(R+s)^2}. Alternatively, you can multiply the second order differential equation by ds/dt and integrate with respect to time.
RooftopDuvet
How would i go about writing an equation for the velocity of an object released at a high altitude above the Earth which takes into account the sqaure increase in acceleration with displacement (s^2).

I posted it here because I'm aware it's more of a calculus question than physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, if s is your displacement from the SURFACE, then R+s will be your distance from the centre of Earth, agreed?
(R being the radius of the Earth)
The adjective is calculous by the way..

appreciated...

p.s. "The adjective is calculous by the way.." - :tongue: i know

Gravitational force is
[tex]\frac{-GMm}{r^2}[/tex]
where r is the distance from the center of the earth. If your s is height above the surface of the earth, M is the mass of the Earth and R is the radius of the earth, then
[tex]\frac{d^2s}{dt^2}= \frac{-GM}{(R+s)^2}[/tex]

That's for something falling straight down, not an orbit, of course.
The best way to solve that differential equation is to let v= ds/dt, then not that d2s/dt2= dv/dt= (ds/dt)(dv/ds) (chain rule) = vdv/ds
[tex]v\frac{dv}{ds}= -\frac{GM}{(R+s)^2}[/tex]
so
[tex]vdv= -\frac{GMds}{(R+s)^2}[/tex]
That should be easy to integrate.

damn it, i had a feeling it was going to be something that simple. Thanks a lot, you've put my mind at rest.

Which could also be gained with somewhat fewer contortions by multiplying the 2.order diff.ex with ds/dt, and integrate wrt. time.

1. What is the concept of "gravity calculus"?

Gravity calculus is a theoretical framework that combines the principles of calculus and the laws of gravity to better understand and predict the behavior of objects in gravitational fields.

2. How is gravity calculus different from traditional calculus?

While traditional calculus focuses on the mathematical study of change, gravity calculus specifically applies these concepts to the force of gravity and how it affects the motion of objects.

3. What are some real-world applications of gravity calculus?

Gravity calculus has many practical applications, such as predicting the trajectory of satellites and spacecraft, understanding the motion of planets and other celestial bodies, and even calculating the gravitational forces between objects on Earth.

4. How does gravity calculus contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Gravity calculus helps us to better understand the fundamental forces that govern the behavior of objects in the universe, allowing us to make more accurate predictions and models of how the universe functions.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with gravity calculus?

While gravity calculus has been highly successful in many areas, it does have some limitations and challenges. For example, it does not account for quantum effects and cannot fully explain the behavior of black holes. Additionally, it can be difficult to apply in extremely complex systems with multiple interacting objects.