Wrong Corollary? Weierstrass M-Test & Power Series

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the Weierstrass M-test for series of complex functions and the theorem that states if fn is continuous and uniformly converges to f on E, then f is continuous on E. The teacher gives a corollary that every power series is continuous on its disc of convergence, but the individual questioning the corollary believes it to be wrong. The discussion then delves into the proof of the corollary and clarifies the ideas of uniform continuity, uniform convergence, and uniform convergence of a power series. The conclusion is that the power series is indeed continuous on its entire disc of convergence.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
After stating the Weierstrass M-test for series of complex functions and the "[itex]f_n[/itex] continuous and uniformly convergeant to f on E ==> f continuous on E" thm, my teacher gives as a corollary that every power series [itex]\sum a_nz^n[/itex] is continuous on its disc of convergence D(0,R). And he doesn't give a proof, as if it's trivial.

But I think the corollary is wrong. Am I right in thinking so?

The convergence is absolute over all of D(0,R), but we only know for sure that the convergence is only uniform over [itex]\emptyset = \partial D(0,R) \cap U \subsetneq D(0,R)[/itex]. Hence, so is the continuity.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Corollary: A power series is continuous on its disc of convergence.
Proof: On its disk, it converges absolutely and uniformly. In particular, it converges uniformly. What does it mean for a power series to converge uniformly? It means that the sequence of partial sums, as a sequence of functions, converges uniformly to the infinite sum. Each of these partial sums is a polynomial, hence continuous. So this sequence of polynomials is continuous and converges uniformly to the infinite series on the series' disk of convergence. Hence, on that disk, the power series is continuous, by the theorem.

It seems you're getting confused about the ideas of uniform continuity of a (single) function, uniform convergence of a sequence of functions, and uniform convergence of a power series (which is a particular case of a sequence of functions being uniformly convergent).

AKG said:
Corollary: A power series is continuous on its disc of convergence.
Proof: On its disk, it converges absolutely and uniformly.

Erm. As far as I know (i.e. according to what my book says and to what the teacher wrote on the blackboard), the convergence is only uniform on a closed disk [itex]\overline{D}(0,r)[/itex] of radius 0<r<R*. Not on the whole D(0,R). Is this not true?

*I wrote this in a very complicated manner in the original post.

Last edited:
Bit- given any point, p, in the disk of convergence, of radius R, there exist an r< R so that the point is inside the closed disk of radius r. Since convergence is uniform inside that closed disk, the function is continuous at p and therefore continuous on the entire (open) disk.

I see. Thanks Halls.

1. What is the Wrong Corollary to the Weierstrass M-Test for Power Series?

The Wrong Corollary to the Weierstrass M-Test for Power Series states that if a power series converges at a point, then it must converge absolutely at that point. However, this statement is incorrect and does not hold true for all power series.

2. Why is the Wrong Corollary to the Weierstrass M-Test important to know?

Understanding the Wrong Corollary is important because it can lead to incorrect conclusions about the convergence of a power series. It is crucial to know the correct version of the Weierstrass M-Test in order to properly analyze the convergence of a series.

3. How can the Wrong Corollary be proven to be false?

The Wrong Corollary can be proven to be false by providing a counterexample, such as the power series 1+(-1)^n*x^n which converges at x=1 but does not converge absolutely at that point. This counterexample shows that the Wrong Corollary is not always true.

4. What is the correct version of the Weierstrass M-Test for Power Series?

The correct version of the Weierstrass M-Test for Power Series states that if a power series converges at a point, then it must also converge absolutely at all points within the radius of convergence.

5. How can the correct version of the Weierstrass M-Test be useful in mathematics?

The correct version of the Weierstrass M-Test is a powerful tool in the study of power series and allows for a more accurate analysis of the convergence of a series. It is also used in many other areas of mathematics, such as complex analysis and Fourier series.