Two climate satellites launched

In summary, The satellites CloudSat and CALIPSO were delayed for a week due to weather and technical issues before finally being launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. These satellites will be studying aerosol particles and their interaction with clouds and movement through the atmosphere. This launch also affects the satellite control network, causing delays and rescheduling for other satellites.
Rach3
They were delayed by weather.

(get it?) :rofl:

CloudSat and CALIPSO blasted off aboard an unmanned Delta rocket from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California at 6:02 a.m. EDT (1002 GMT) after a week of delays for weather and technical issues.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060428/ts_nm/space_satellites_dc"
Complementary and virtually simultaneous studies by sister probe CALIPSO will pinpoint aerosol particles and track how they interact with clouds and move through the atmosphere. CALIPSO is an acronym for Cloud-Aerosol Lidar and Infrared Pathfinder Satellite Observations.

Off topic, here's an informative piece of journalism from the same article:
Computer models predict average surface temperatures on Earth will increase between 3.5 degrees Celsius and 9 degrees F over the next 100 years. The uncertainty stems from...

Idiots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rach3 said:
They were delayed by weather.

(get it?) :rofl:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060428/ts_nm/space_satellites_dc"

Off topic, here's an informative piece of journalism from the same article:

Idiots.
I was very glad to see them finally launched. They use the satellite control network I work for. Each day they were delayed meant their orbits had to be recomputed, and their supports rescheduled and deconflicted against the rest of the satellites our network supports. Today's the first day off I've had in two weeks (and that was the weekend before taxes were due).

Last edited by a moderator:

I am thrilled to hear that the CloudSat and CALIPSO satellites have successfully launched despite facing delays due to weather conditions. These satellites will provide valuable data on cloud and aerosol interactions and their impact on our climate. It is crucial to understand these processes in order to accurately predict and mitigate the effects of climate change. I am confident that the data collected by these satellites will contribute significantly to our understanding of the Earth's atmosphere and its changing climate.

What is the purpose of the two climate satellites launched?

The two climate satellites were launched to collect data and images of Earth's atmosphere and surface in order to study and monitor climate change.

When were the two climate satellites launched?

The two climate satellites were launched on [date of launch] from [launch location].

What technology do the two climate satellites use?

The two climate satellites use advanced sensors and instruments, such as radiometers and spectrometers, to measure various aspects of Earth's climate.

How will the data collected by the two climate satellites be used?

The data collected by the two climate satellites will be analyzed by scientists to better understand and predict changes in Earth's climate patterns, and to inform policy decisions related to climate change.

What is the expected lifespan of the two climate satellites?

The two climate satellites are expected to operate for [number of years] years, but may have a longer lifespan depending on their condition and maintenance.

Back