Proof of Predicate Logic Statement: (A → B) → (∃x)(A → B)

In summary: I will look into it and try to find a more detailed explanation.Thank you. Could you tell me the name you use for the axiom I used here? I often don't know how to translate these things from Czech to English when I want to find something on Google.Different books call it different things. The book I used called it "existential introduction", and in fact it was given in my book as a rule of inference (from A_x[t] you may infer (\exists x)(A)).Different books call it different things. The book I used called it "existential introduction", and in fact it was given in my book as a rule of inference (from A_x[t
Mr.Cauliflower
Hello,

I don't know how to prove this:

[tex]
\vdash (A \rightarrow B) \rightarrow (\exists x)(A \rightarrow B)
[/tex]

First I thought it is just an instantiation of the dual form of the axiom of specification, which says

[tex]
\vdash A_{x}[t] \rightarrow (\exists x) A
[/tex]

but it probably shouldn't be so easy...

Would someone give me any hints?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation and terminology is different from mine, but yes, it is that easy.

AKG said:
Your notation and terminology is different from mine, but yes, it is that easy.

Thank you. Could you tell me the name you use for the axiom I used here? I often don't know how to translate these things from Czech to English when I want to find something on Google.

Different books call it different things. The book I used called it "existential introduction", and in fact it was given in my book as a rule of inference (from [itex]A_x[t][/itex] you may infer [itex](\exists x)(A)[/itex]).

AKG said:
Different books call it different things. The book I used called it "existential introduction", and in fact it was given in my book as a rule of inference (from [itex]A_x[t][/itex] you may infer [itex](\exists x)(A)[/itex]).

So I suppose there's no problem having unbound x in [itex]A -> B[/itex]?

It would be strange if it was problem, but to be sure...

Well, what exactly does your book say? You have the scheme [itex]\vdash A_x[t] \rightarrow (\exists x)A[/tex], but like I said, your notation is different from mine. How exactly is Ax[t] defined? I assume it means that every free occurence of x in A is replaced with t? Does it require that there actually is a free occurence of x in A? For example, if A is y=y, then can Ax[t] be defined, and is it just y=y?

If there are free x in [itex]A \rightarrow B[/itex], then you cannot use the axioms you're given, since if Ax[t] is defined such that EVERY free occurence of x is replaced by t, then if A -> B has free occurences of x in it, it doesn't fit the right format to be used in the "axioms of specificatino" scheme. So if there are free x in [itex]A \rightarrow B[/itex], then I would use the following facts:

[itex]\phi \vdash (\forall x)(\phi )[/itex] for any formula [itex]\phi[/itex]

[itex](\forall x)(\phi ) \vdash \phi _x[t][/itex] for any term t, and any formula [itex]\phi[/itex].

[itex]\vdash (\phi _x[t] \rightarrow (\exists x)(\phi ))[/itex], the axioms you've given.

AKG said:
Well, what exactly does your book say?

We say that term [itex]t[/itex] is substituable for variable [itex]x[/itex] in formula [itex]A[/itex] if for each variable [itex]y[/itex] from [itex]t[/itex] no subformula of [itex]A[/itex] of form [itex](\forall x) B[/itex], [itex](\exists x) B[/itex] contains free occurence of [itex]x[/itex].

And if this condition is satisfied, then

[tex]
A_{x}[t]
[/tex]

means formula [itex]A[/itex] with ALL occurrences of [itex]x[/itex] substituted with [itex]t[/itex].

AKG said:
Does it require that there actually is a free occurence of x in A? For example, if A is y=y, then can Ax[t] be defined, and is it just y=y?

Given the definition above, I would say, NO, it doesn't require any occurrence of the variable being substitued and YES, the result of what you wrote is just [itex]y = y[/itex].

AKG said:
If there are free x in [itex]A \rightarrow B[/itex], then you cannot use the axioms you're given, since if Ax[t] is defined such that EVERY free occurence of x is replaced by t, then if A -> B has free occurences of x in it, it doesn't fit the right format to be used in the "axioms of specificatino" scheme.

I don't get this...if I have let's say formula A

[tex]
(x.x = z.x) \rightarrow (z > 0)
[/tex]

then if I write [itex]A_{x}[t][/itex], where [itex]t = \sin z[/itex], it is

[tex]
(\sin z. \sin z = z.\sin z) \rightarrow (z > 0)
[/tex]

and I think it's perfectly ok even though [itex]x[/itex] is of free occurrence in [itex]A[/itex].

Last edited:
Mr.Cauliflower said:
We say that term [itex]t[/itex] is substituable for variable [itex]x[/itex] in formula [itex]A[/itex] if for each variable [itex]y[/itex] from [itex]t[/itex] no subformula of [itex]A[/itex] of form [itex](\forall x) B[/itex], [itex](\exists x) B[/itex] contains free occurence of [itex]x[/itex].
Something is wrong here. You mean that subformulas of the form [itex](\forall y)B[/itex] and [itex](\exists y)B[/itex] contain no free occurence of x.
I don't get this...
I was thinking, for some reason, that t had to be a constant symbol. Since t can be any term, Ax[x] is the same as A, and so the "axiom of specification" does apply.

AKG said:
Something is wrong here. You mean that subformulas of the form [itex](\forall y)B[/itex] and [itex](\exists y)B[/itex] contain no free occurence of x.

I think we're both saying the same, I wrote ...no subformula of form....

AKG said:
I was thinking, for some reason, that t had to be a constant symbol. Since t can be any term, Ax[x] is the same as A, and so the "axiom of specification" does apply.

So the result is that I should know something more about the variables in [tex]A \rightarrow B[/itex] to know if I can directly use the axiom of specification ( = if term [itex]t[/itex] can be substituted for [itex]x[/itex])?

Or that I can prove it that way?

Mr.Cauliflower said:
I think we're both saying the same, I wrote ...no subformula of form....
... of the form [itex](\forall \mathbf{x})[/itex]..." but it should be [itex](\forall \mathbf{y})[/itex].
So the result is that I should know something more about the variables in [tex]A \rightarrow B[/itex] to know if I can directly use the axiom of specification ( = if term [itex]t[/itex] can be substituted for [itex]x[/itex])?

Or that I can prove it that way?
No, I mean you can use the axiom of specification. I assume that the scheme:

[tex]\vdash A_x[t] \rightarrow (\exists x) A[/tex]

holds for any formula A, and any term t. Then, in particular its true that:

[tex]\vdash (A \rightarrow B)_x[x] \rightarrow (\exists x)(A \rightarrow B)[/tex]

But [itex](A \rightarrow B)_x[x][/itex] is just [itex](A \rightarrow B)[/itex] so indeed

[tex]\vdash (A \rightarrow B) \rightarrow (\exists x)(A \rightarrow B)[/tex]

AKG said:
... of the form [itex](\forall \mathbf{x})[/itex]..." but it should be [itex](\forall \mathbf{y})[/itex]

You're right, it's my typo.

Thank you for help.

1. What is a predicate logic proof?

A predicate logic proof is a logical argument that uses symbols and rules to demonstrate the validity of a statement or argument. It is a formal method of reasoning that is commonly used in mathematics, computer science, philosophy, and other fields.

2. How is a predicate logic proof different from other types of proofs?

Predicate logic proof is different from other types of proofs, such as algebraic or geometric proofs, because it deals with formal rules of inference and symbols rather than specific equations or geometric figures. It is also more general and can be applied to a wide range of statements and arguments.

3. What are the basic components of a predicate logic proof?

The basic components of a predicate logic proof include a set of premises, which are statements that are assumed to be true, and a conclusion, which is the statement that is being proven. The proof also includes a series of steps that use logical rules to connect the premises to the conclusion.

4. How do you know if a predicate logic proof is valid?

A predicate logic proof is valid if it follows the rules of logic and successfully demonstrates that the conclusion is logically derived from the premises. This can be determined by checking each step of the proof to ensure that it follows a valid logical rule and that the conclusion is supported by the previous steps.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in a predicate logic proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a predicate logic proof include using incorrect logical rules, making unsupported assumptions, and failing to properly connect the premises to the conclusion. It is also important to use clear and precise language and to avoid circular reasoning or fallacious arguments.