Solving Mystery of Splotchy Chimney Breast

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: If you can catch the leak early, before it gets too bad, you might be able to repair it without too much fuss. If not, well...In summary, Wollie is having problems with the paint on his chimney, and thinks it might be demonic possession. He's trying to find a way to fix it using various methods, but doesn't know if it will work.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
It started going all splotchy a few months ago and now the splotches are spouting dandruff, it does not feel wet so i am baffled, if it was the paint
there would be none left by now, i thought it might be some sort of mould
like i had in the bath room only that was greeny blue and i killed that with detol, i tried detol on the chimney breast with no result, so i thought i could try sealing it, i tried a patch that is out of sight, that has not worked either, all though i am not sure if hair spray is the right stuff to use, i just so do not want to re decorate as i am not very good it, does anyone have an idea as to what this and how to cure it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what a chimney breast is. I'm sure it must be called something else here.

is that rhyming slang for chest? :eek: :confused:

Math Is Hard said:
is that rhyming slang for chest? :eek: :confused:

Well it is not my chimney booby:smile: it is the bit of wall that sticks out over a fire place, may be that's why we call it a breast cause it sticks out.
any way back to the dandruffy blotches, any ideas?

oh, ok. I don't have any ideas but I think that might be what I think of as a "mantle".

Math Is Hard said:
oh, ok. I don't have any ideas but I think that might be what I think of as a "mantle".

Noo, that's a male turttle, or a fishy type ray.

wolram said:
Noo, that's a male turttle, or a fishy type ray.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Maybe you're being taken over by lichens. Is it a stony mantle or wood?

Danger said:
Maybe you're being taken over by lichens. Is it a stony mantle or wood?

It is plastered brick Danger.

Hmm... probably not lichens then; they live on rock.

Danger said:
Hmm... probably not lichens then; they live on rock.

I have a wooden rail that is about 4 ft up a what are youmcallit ------------
a dido rail, that gets cover from the fall out from the splotches, i am just glad the splotches are not red.

This is sounding a bit stranger all the time. Can you post some photos?

Anyhow, got to go for now. Jerry Doucette is playing at our local pub, and the doors opened 15 minutes ago. :biggrin:

wolram said:
blah blah blah

I though it was going to be another bird thread, y'know "purple billed chimney breast" or something.

Chi Meson said:
I though it was going to be another bird thread, y'know "purple billed chimney breast" or something.

No it is more a bleeding icon inquirey only the icon is my wall and it is not bleeding it has dandruff blotches.

What IS it with your chimney?

Chi Meson said:
What IS it with your chimney?
It's sounding more and more like demonic possession to me. I suggest spraying the chimney with holy water.

Evo said:
It's sounding more and more like demonic possession to me. I suggest spraying the chimney with holy water.
Using a scrub and soap as well won't hurt, either..

arildno said:
Using a scrub and soap as well won't hurt, either..
Unless it's true demonic possession. You've seen it, blood appears (or green slime), the person washes it off, next day it's back. :bugeye:

Evo said:
Unless it's true demonic possession. You've seen it, blood appears (or green slime), the person washes it off, next day it's back. :bugeye:
Not sure about that.
Haven't you heard how difficult it was for the Canterville Ghost to replace the blood stains the inimical Americans kept removing?

In a final act of desperation, he had to use GREEN paint!

arildno said:
Not sure about that.
Haven't you heard how difficult it was for the Canterville Ghost to replace the blood stains the inimical Americans kept removing?

In a final act of desperation, he had to use GREEN paint!
He was a wimp.

After that last blast of soot, I'm convinced Wolram's chimney is located directly over the gates to hell.

I thought he was rather wild.
When it comes to exorcism, I think the best advice I can give is that you have to realize the importance of being earnest in your efforts to drive the demon away.

Bon-mots and clever puns won't help you at all.

Once figuring out this wasn't a medical problem of Wollie's chest getting blotchy and dandruffy...

Wollie, you said it's coated with plaster, but do you really mean cement? Like what we over here would call stucco (don't know if you call it the same there)?

If so, this does sound like a water damage problem. You get bright white, powdery deposits on concrete where water has been working it's way through. You might notice them before the water gets through all the way, and if it's only leaking during rain, you won't notice the dampness on dry days.

Between your recent incident of soot falling everywhere, and this "dandruff" (the real name for it is not coming to mind), I'd highly suggest you get a professional chimney inspector to check your chimney inside and out. If moisture is working through the sides of the chimney, you might have cracks in it. That's pretty dangerous, because it means the heat of the fire can escape out the sides of the chimney and start a house fire around it. Now is the best time to have it all inspected since you're not using it and can get it repaired before the cold weather returns, or decide it's too expensive to repair and know not to use it.

It could also not be a damaged chimney, but a roof leak letting the moisture down the outside of the chimney to damage just the outside coating that you see flaking off. If it's coming in the outside, it might just be the flashing around the chimney up on the roof. Look for any spots where the tar or sheet metal have pulled away, or any exposed nails. A generous coating of roofing tar around the chimney flashing might stop the leak (assuming it's not one of those nefarious roof leaks that starts on the other side of the house and trickles along some circuitous path before appearing inside making it nearly impossible to pinpoint the source...while on the roof, it's worth walking it to look for any other places that have exposed nails and globbing a bit of tar over those too).

There is a nasty chemical stuff that will clean those white deposits off concrete/cement if you treat the leak and just need to clean it to restore the appearance when done, but I can't remember what it is. It's the stuff you use to prep the surface before putting a concrete sealer/waterproofer on (used around foundations and in basements to keep moisture out). Someone in your local hardware store should know what it is and be able to point you in the right direction.

Definitely get your chimney inspected, though, with all these various problems. Best to be safe and sure you don't have cracks or erosion from water seeping in that will make it dangerous to use.

Moonbear said:
Once figuring out this wasn't a medical problem of Wollie's chest getting blotchy and dandruffy...
:grumpy: Oh sure, find a "practical" explanation, just overlook the obvious. I mean, remember all the other problems he's had?

Thanks MoonB, i will get mr sweep to check out my chimney, oh i found out the last but one occupant died in this cott:eek:

1. What is the "Solving Mystery of Splotchy Chimney Breast" about?

The "Solving Mystery of Splotchy Chimney Breast" is a scientific inquiry into the cause of discoloration on the exterior of chimneys. This phenomenon, known as "splotchy chimney breast," has been observed in various regions and has sparked curiosity among scientists and homeowners alike.

2. What are some potential causes of splotchy chimney breast?

There are several potential causes of splotchy chimney breast, including environmental factors such as air pollution, weathering, and algae growth. It could also be caused by a chemical reaction between the chimney materials and elements in the air or from the use of certain cleaning products.

3. How do scientists study splotchy chimney breast?

Scientists study splotchy chimney breast by collecting samples of the discolored material and analyzing them in a laboratory setting. They also conduct field studies to observe the phenomenon in its natural environment and gather data on weather patterns, air quality, and other potential factors.

4. What are some potential solutions for splotchy chimney breast?

Possible solutions for splotchy chimney breast depend on the underlying cause. If it is due to environmental factors, implementing measures to reduce air pollution or prevent algae growth may help. If it is caused by a chemical reaction, using alternative materials or cleaning products may be necessary.

5. Is splotchy chimney breast harmful to human health?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that splotchy chimney breast poses a health risk to humans. However, it is important to continue studying this phenomenon to fully understand its potential effects on both human health and the environment.