Perpetuum Mobile: Robert Boyle's Self-Flowing Flask

• Thread starter Nissan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mobile
In summary, the idea of a perpetual motion machine based on the concept of a self-flowing flask, as seen in Robert Boyle's experiment, is not possible due to the laws of thermodynamics. The machine cannot work because both ends of the device are at the same pressure, which prevents any flow of water. Additionally, the height of the output nozzle must be lower than the water level in the flask for any flow to occur. While it may seem like a possible solution, the concept ultimately goes against the laws of physics and cannot be used to create a perpetual motion machine.
Nissan
i had an idea about a perpetual motion machine.
i have read and saw that my idea is just like Robert Boyle's self-flowing flask.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/Boyle'sSelfFlowingFlask.png
from what i read this machine who by my idea should let the water move for eternity is not working because it doesn't follow the rules of thermodinamics.
I didn't really understand this explanation,does anyone knows what's the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Both ends of the "device" are at the same pressure. There can not be flow without a pressure differential. Examone what the static pressure will be in the tube and the vessel. Also take a look at how liquid levels work. You'll see some similarity there.

Since both ends are open to air pressure, the only thing that can make water flow through the tube is a difference in heights. Only when the output nozzle is lower than the flask water level will the water flow. This is not the case in the drawing, and what will really happen is that the water will fall back down the tube until it is at the same level as the flask water. If the nozzle is held lower than the flask water level, water will flow out the tube, but there will be no way to get it back into the flask without doing work. While this concept can be used to steal gasoline from people's cars, sadly it can't be used to make a perpetual motion machine.

Riposte said:
Since both ends are open to air pressure, the only thing that can make water flow through the tube is a difference in heights.

Actually, it's also possible to get this to happen if there's a heat difference. Water has weird thermal properties, but any gas will flow up the warm side, and down the cold side of a looped vertical tube if the temperature difference is maintained.

1. What is Perpetuum Mobile: Robert Boyle's Self-Flowing Flask?

Perpetuum Mobile: Robert Boyle's Self-Flowing Flask is a flask containing a mysterious liquid that appears to flow endlessly without any external force or energy source.

2. Who is Robert Boyle?

Robert Boyle was a 17th century Irish scientist and philosopher, known as the father of modern chemistry. He is most famous for his work on the nature of gases and his contributions to the scientific method.

3. How does the self-flowing flask work?

The self-flowing flask is a result of a chemical reaction between two liquids inside the flask. One liquid is more dense than the other, causing it to sink to the bottom of the flask. However, as the reaction continues, the density of the sinking liquid decreases, causing it to rise again and creating a continuous flow.

4. Is the self-flowing flask a perpetual motion machine?

No, the self-flowing flask is not a perpetual motion machine. Perpetual motion machines are impossible because they would violate the laws of thermodynamics. The self-flowing flask relies on a chemical reaction for its continuous flow, which eventually must come to an end.

5. What is the significance of the self-flowing flask?

The self-flowing flask is significant because it was one of the first examples of a chemical reaction producing motion. It also sparked further research and experimentation in the field of chemistry and the study of gases. Additionally, it showcases the creativity and ingenuity of scientists like Robert Boyle in their pursuit of knowledge and understanding of the natural world.