Elements that react with crystalline

• Thread starter linux kid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary: Primarily I just mean that, with an electric field, the liquid crystal molecules form a periodic array. Much the same way that an ordinary crystal is a periodic array of molecules or atoms. Unlike the ordinary crystal there are no chemical bonds being formed or broken as the electric field is applied. Induced crystallinity.I see, thanks for clarifying.These are similar to magnetic domains in ferromagnets no?Yes, that is correct.
linux kid
What element will react with crystalline causing it to lose it's organized pattern.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
There are hundreds of reactions involving crystals that result in loss of crystallinity. A common example is oxidation.

Or if its a soluble crystal, a solvent like water.

Almost all chemical processes will, as long as the product itself is not crystalline.

3trQN said:
Or if its a soluble crystal, a solvent like water.
That was my first thought, but I wasn't sure how rigorous the OP was by the use of the term 'element'.

Gokul43201 said:
That was my first thought, but I wasn't sure how rigorous the OP was by the use of the term 'element'.

Yeah, i don't think it even classes as a "reaction", to a chemist. Solvation that is. Where reaction implies a chemical reaction.

I don't know much about liquid crystals, but they could also be an exception to that rule...intresting one too.

3trQN said:
I don't know much about liquid crystals, but they could also be an exception to that rule...intresting one too.
Liquid crystal is a long polar molecule (chiral too I think).
AFAIK it is not any sort of crystal in the chemical sense.
However, when in an electric field the heads and tails line up and form a periodic array. A sort of quasicrystal that polarizes light. Without the electric field they just asume a random orientation.

I see, by quasi-crystal do you mean that the liquid develops regions of crystaline structure and some where it is still amorphous? Or that its only an induced crystallinity and not a natural one?

These are similar to magnetic domains in ferromagnets no?

3trQN said:
I see, by quasi-crystal do you mean that the liquid develops regions of crystaline structure and some where it is still amorphous? Or that its only an induced crystallinity and not a natural one?
The nature of the beast is such that you will have molecules that don't cooperate. So you will have some residual amorphous areas.

Primarily I just mean that, with an electric field, the liquid crystal molecules form a periodic array. Much the same way that an ordinary crystal is a periodic array of molecules or atoms. Unlike the ordinary crystal there are no chemical bonds being formed or broken as the electric field is applied. Induced crystallinity.

3trQN said:
These are similar to magnetic domains in ferromagnets no?
I suppose there is some anology here.
I don't think I would go to far with it though.

Right you are, thanks.

NoTime said:
Liquid crystal is a long polar molecule (chiral too I think).
AFAIK it is not any sort of crystal in the chemical sense.
However, when in an electric field the heads and tails line up and form a periodic array. A sort of quasicrystal that polarizes light. Without the electric field they just asume a random orientation.
Not true.

In the complete absense of applied external fields, you can have both long-range anisotropy as well as long-range positional ordering. It only takes an electric field to make a macroscopic single-crystal.

This is loosely analogous to the magnetization of a ferromagnet.

Last edited:

1. What are some examples of elements that react with crystalline?

Some common examples of elements that react with crystalline include sodium, potassium, calcium, aluminum, and magnesium. These elements are highly reactive and can react with various types of crystalline structures.

2. How do elements react with crystalline?

Elements react with crystalline through a process called chemical bonding, where atoms of different elements bond together to form new compounds. This process involves the transfer of electrons between atoms, resulting in the formation of new chemical bonds.

3. What are the effects of elements reacting with crystalline?

The effects of elements reacting with crystalline can vary depending on the specific elements and the type of crystalline structure involved. In some cases, the reaction can result in the formation of new compounds with different properties, while in others it may cause structural changes or even destruction of the crystalline material.

4. Can elements react with all types of crystalline structures?

No, not all elements can react with all types of crystalline structures. The reactivity of an element depends on its electronic configuration, which determines its ability to form chemical bonds with other elements. Some elements may only react with specific types of crystalline structures, while others may not react at all.

5. How can we control the reactivity of elements with crystalline?

The reactivity of elements with crystalline can be controlled through various means, such as adjusting the temperature, pressure, or the presence of other substances. In some cases, a catalyst may be used to facilitate the reaction between an element and a crystalline material. However, the reactivity of an element is ultimately determined by its inherent properties and cannot be completely controlled.