Does the bending of light by objects affect our view of the universe as a whole?

• Thread starter n0vadeath
  • Start date
In summary, tTs discussed the effect of objects on the space around them, specifically how light bends when passing near a massive object like a star or galaxy. This effect, known as gravitational lensing, is being studied extensively and has implications for our understanding of the universe and the distribution of mass within it. It is a hot topic in the field and there are many related topics to explore.
n0vadeath
tTs said that objects effect the space around them. Example is if we look near the sun and see a star(or planet) that really is blocked by sun, so the light bends around and we view it. Well how does this pertain all of the viewable space we see out there? I mean if I view one star or galaxy , then I view another star or galaxy near by, couldn't there be a chance the closer object might bend the light of the object futher out? How does that change the way we view the universe as a whole?

Peace
Damien

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The amount of bending by the sun is very small, so it is noticeable with very precise measurements. However, the same effect is more apparent when light passes close to a galaxy. Lensing effects take place and we can see multiple images and other distortions.

n0vadeath said:
tTs said that objects effect the space around them. Example is if we look near the sun and see a star(or planet) that really is blocked by sun, so the light bends around and we view it. Well how does this pertain all of the viewable space we see out there? I mean if I view one star or galaxy , then I view another star or galaxy near by, couldn't there be a chance the closer object might bend the light of the object futher out? How does that change the way we view the universe as a whole?

In fact, a lot of research is being devoted to answering just that question. As mathman has already suggested, the deviations are very small -- the sky wouldn't look any different to your eye if there were no gravitational distortions. However, we can detect the difference with our telescopes and it turns out to be a powerful tool for studying the distribution of mass in the universe. Gravitational lensing appears in many contexts, including studies of quasars, the cosmic microwave background, the large-scale distribution of matter, dark matter, galaxy and cluster masses, and even extrasolar planets.

Sweet,

Any related topics I can read on here ? Mabe a hot topic to look over?peace
Damien

Besides I haven't really thought about this question much till a few days ago. Been bugging me :P

1. What is "Another newbie question"?

"Another newbie question" is a commonly used phrase in online communities, particularly in forums and discussion boards, to refer to a question that has been asked before or a question that is considered basic or simple.

2. Why is it called a "newbie" question?

The term "newbie" is used to refer to someone who is new to a particular subject or activity, and in this case, it is used to describe someone who is new to a certain online community and may not be familiar with its customs and norms.

3. Is it okay to ask "newbie questions"?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask "newbie questions" in online communities. These questions are often asked by individuals who are genuinely seeking information and are looking for help from more experienced members of the community.

4. How can I avoid asking "newbie questions"?

To avoid asking "newbie questions", you can try doing some research first to see if your question has already been asked and answered. You can also try reading through the community's guidelines or frequently asked questions to get a better understanding of its norms and customs.

5. How can I ask "newbie questions" in a respectful manner?

When asking "newbie questions", it is important to be respectful and polite. Make sure to use proper language and avoid demanding or expecting immediate answers. It is also helpful to express gratitude to those who take the time to answer your question. Remember, everyone was a newbie at some point and it is important to create a welcoming and inclusive community for all members.