Which book is the best for a beginner of condensed matter physics ?

In summary, The conversation revolves around the topic of condensed matter physics and suitable textbooks for a junior university student interested in the subject. Some suggested textbooks are Introduction to Condensed Matter Physics by Duan & Guojunkittel, Introduction to Solid State Physics by Kittel, and Band Theory and Electronic Properties of Solids by John Singleton. Michael P. Marder's book is also mentioned as a modern and comprehensive option, but it may be challenging for junior students. It is suggested that a sound grounding in thermal physics and quantum physics is important for understanding condensed matter physics. Ashcroft's book is considered to present better concepts for junior students.
physshi
I am a Junior in an university , majoring in Applied Physics ,and I find I have a interest in condensed matter physics ,espacially about Superconductivity ,Nanotechnology,Low temperature phases and the like ,but in my curriculum , there is no such course like this , so I want to know which book is suitable for me ?:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Itroduction to Condensed MAtter Physics. Duan & Guojun

kittel's introduction to solid state physics is widely used.

another vote for Kittel.

Ashcroft and Mermin is very comprenshive, Kittel is excellent too

Charles Kittles's Introduction to Solid State Physics contains the clear
description of the concepts in traditional Solid State Physics.
The another modern description of Condensed Matter Physics is by Michael P. Marder , it is a new and very excellent book, it contains the new development in condensed matter physics.
Ashcroft and Mermin's book is more advanced, it seems not suitable for
reading for junior students.

Condensed matter physics takes a lot of funamental ideas and roles them into a theory for many-particle interacting systems. Thus to start off with a specific textbook on condensed mater physics it is often difficult to see why approaches are made the way they are presented. In general you would need to know the basic of statistical mechanics and quantum theory. Combining these two subjects pretty much gives us condensed matter physics, especially if you wish to understand critical exponents and the like for description of phase transitions.

good to here that you are interested in Superconductivity, you are a junior, study calculous first... I am studying Superconducting Physics in graduate school, maths is the most important. good luck

I think getting a sound grounding in thermal physics and quantum physics is pretty important. Kittel is widely used but it is not necessarily the kindest book for introductory solid state physics.

"Band Theory and and Electronic Properties of Solids" by John Singleton is pretty good.

PRB147 said:
The another modern description of Condensed Matter Physics is by Michael P. Marder , it is a new and very excellent book, it contains the new development in condensed matter physics.

I use marder's book. i think the presentation is very challenging. hard even for graduate students. my professor always get tutorial questions from marder's book, and they are so damn hard. just look at the exercises at the end of each chapter.

I think Ashcroft's book present better concept for junior students

1. What is the best book for a beginner of condensed matter physics?

The best book for a beginner of condensed matter physics depends on the individual's background knowledge and learning style. Some popular options include "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel, "Condensed Matter Physics" by Michael P. Marder, and "Solid State Physics" by Neil W. Ashcroft and N. David Mermin.

2. What topics should a beginner book on condensed matter physics cover?

A good beginner book on condensed matter physics should cover basic concepts such as crystal structures, lattice vibrations, electronic band structure, and phase transitions. It should also introduce more advanced topics like topological materials, superconductivity, and magnetism.

3. Are there any online resources available for learning condensed matter physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning condensed matter physics. Some popular ones include online lecture notes, video lectures, and interactive simulations. Websites like MIT OpenCourseWare and Khan Academy offer free courses on condensed matter physics.

4. Can a beginner book on condensed matter physics be used as a reference for more advanced studies?

Yes, a good beginner book on condensed matter physics can serve as a reference for more advanced studies. However, as the field is constantly evolving, it is recommended to also consult more specialized and up-to-date resources for advanced topics.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand condensed matter physics?

While a strong background in mathematics can be helpful in understanding the theoretical concepts of condensed matter physics, it is not necessary. Many beginner books on the subject provide clear explanations and examples, making it accessible to those with a basic understanding of mathematics.