Simple/trivial question on cauchy-riemann equations

• Thread starter jbusc
  • Start date
In summary, the statements 1 and 2 are valid and equivalent. They both state that a function f(z) is analytic at a point z = z0 if and only if the Cauchy-Riemann equations hold at z0 and f(z) has continuous partials at z0. This means that f(z) is infinitely differentiable and its Taylor series converges to the value of f(z) at every point in that neighborhood. However, it is important to note that the Cauchy-Riemann equations are only a necessary condition for differentiability, and the sufficient condition is that the partials be continuous as well. This can be further explored in a complex analysis course.
jbusc
This is a simple question, but I don't have a complex analysis book handy to verify, and I'm by no means very familar with complex analysis at all. Are the statements:

1. f(z) is analytic at a point z = z0 iff the cauchy-riemann equations hold in a neighborhood of z0
2. f(z) is analytic at a point z = z0 iff the cauchy-riemann equations hold at z0, and f(z) has continuous partials at z0

valid and equivalent? My gut says yes, but I have the feeling I'm missing something and that perhaps they're not equivalent. Wikipedia seems somewhat vague. Or are they not valid and I'm completely wrong? :)

BTW, this is not a homework question, I am not taking a complex analysis course, this is entirely for myself. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, they are equivalent. It can be shown that if a function f(z) satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations hold in some neighborhood of z0 then f is in fact infinitely differentiable in that neighborhood. In fact, more: its Taylor series converges to the value of f(z) at every point in that neighborhood (which is the most basic definition of "analytic" on a neighborhood).

I though CR equations were only a necessary condition for differentiability; the sufficient condition being that the partials be continuous as well.

Suppose though since I'm taking CA this fall, you can assign it as a homework problem and let me investigate it further . . . I mean, that's what the "A" stands for.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

1. What are the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are a set of two partial differential equations that express the conditions for a complex-valued function to be differentiable. They are named after mathematicians Augustin-Louis Cauchy and Bernhard Riemann.

2. What is the significance of the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are important because they provide a necessary and sufficient condition for a complex function to be analytic, meaning it can be represented by a convergent power series. This allows for the use of powerful tools from complex analysis to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How are the Cauchy-Riemann equations related to the concept of holomorphic functions?

A function is said to be holomorphic if it is complex differentiable at every point in its domain. The Cauchy-Riemann equations provide the conditions for a function to be holomorphic, making them crucial in the study of such functions.

4. Can the Cauchy-Riemann equations be applied to real-valued functions?

No, the Cauchy-Riemann equations only apply to complex-valued functions. However, they can be used to evaluate the differentiability of real-valued functions by treating them as the real and imaginary parts of a complex function.

5. How are the Cauchy-Riemann equations used in practical applications?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations have various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they are used in fluid dynamics to study the flow of fluids, in electrical engineering to analyze AC circuits, and in economics to model market behavior. They also have applications in image processing and signal analysis.