Is Physics a Must for Physical Therapy Grad Programs?

In summary, for a graduate program in Physical Therapy, a sequence in physics is required. This may be daunting for someone who struggles with mathematics. However, many schools offer entry-level physics courses that only use algebra and trigonometry and good professors should explain mathematical concepts. The program requires 8 semester hours of physics, including a lab. The use of math in physics formulas may be more manageable for someone like the speaker.
chancer
I recently found out that for a graduate program I want to get into (Physical Therpay) that a sequence in physics is required. This worries me because there is no other subject that I abhor more than mathmatics. I can speak 3 languages fluently, but give me a simple math problem and I want to pull my hair out.
For someone like me who struggled through college algebra, is this subject something i should even attempt to take.

THANKS.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
do you have any info on what physics classes you need to take? You will need some grasp of derivatives and integrals for just about every physics class though and some very basic grasp on vectors.

But a good physics professors should explain the relevant mathematical concepts in a entry level class.

most schools also offer a very basic physics course that only makes use of algebra and trigonometry, you could ask the department about that.

Thanks for your response.

The criteria just stated 8 semester hours of physics, one of which has a lab. I think if physics incorporates math, but actually applies it in formulas I may be ok. It is just when everything is entirely math...my brain short circuits.

1. What is the purpose of studying entry level college physics?

The purpose of studying entry level college physics is to develop a fundamental understanding of the principles and laws that govern the natural world. This knowledge can be applied to a wide range of fields, including engineering, medicine, and environmental science.

2. What topics are typically covered in entry level college physics courses?

Topics typically covered in entry level college physics courses include mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics. These topics provide a foundation for more advanced physics courses.

3. Do I need a strong background in math to succeed in entry level college physics?

While a strong background in math can be helpful, it is not necessary to succeed in entry level college physics. Basic algebra skills and a willingness to learn and practice problem-solving techniques are sufficient for most introductory physics courses.

4. What are some common misconceptions about entry level college physics?

Some common misconceptions about entry level college physics include that it is only applicable to theoretical concepts, that it is too difficult for non-science majors, and that it is only for those pursuing a career in physics. In reality, entry level college physics can be applied to real-world scenarios, is accessible to students from a variety of backgrounds, and can be beneficial for a variety of career paths.

5. How can I best prepare for an entry level college physics course?

To best prepare for an entry level college physics course, it is recommended to review basic math concepts such as algebra and trigonometry, as well as familiarize yourself with the scientific method and units of measurement. Additionally, practicing problem-solving techniques and seeking out resources such as textbooks and online tutorials can also be helpful.