Explaining the Positive Integral of e^x^3

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of the definite integral of a function and how to explain them in words. It also shows how to use inequalities to evaluate definite integrals.
http://i5.tinypic.com/4hionb9.jpg

Please check my answers

a) I know that e^x^3 > 0 and for all x ∈ [-1, 1], so we have ∫[-1 to 1] e^x^3 dx > 0. But how would you explain in words?

b) For all x ∈ [0, 1] , 0 ≤ x^2 ≤ x , so e^0 ≤ e^x^2 ≤ e^x
Therefore
∫[0 to 1] e^0 dx ≤ ∫[0 to 1] e^x^2 dx ≤ ∫[0 to 1] e^x dx
where do i go from here?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
413 said:
http://i5.tinypic.com/4hionb9.jpg

Please check my answers

a) I know that e^x^3 > 0 and for all x ∈ [-1, 1], so we have ∫[-1 to 1] e^x^3 dx > 0. But how would you explain in words?
One definition of the definite integral of such a function (positive on the interval) is that it is the "area under the graph". And area is always positive.

A more rigorous proof is this: f(0)= 1 and the function is continuous so there exist some neighborhod of x= 0, say [itex]-\delta< x< \delta[/itex] such that f(x)> 1/2. We must have [itex]\int_{-\delta}^{\delta}f(x)dx> (2\delta)(1/2)= \delta> 0[/itex]. Since f(x) is never negative, other parts of the integral cannot cancel that: [itex]\int_{-1}^1 e^{x^3}dx> \delta> 0.

b) For all x ∈ [0, 1] , 0 ≤ x^2 ≤ x , so e^0 ≤ e^x^2 ≤ e^x
Therefore
∫[0 to 1] e^0 dx ≤ ∫[0 to 1] e^x^2 dx ≤ ∫[0 to 1] e^x dx
where do i go from here?

thanks.
Well, you know that e0= 1 so [itex]\int_0^1 e^0dx= \int_0^1 dx= 1[/itex].
You also know that [itex]\int e^x dx= e^x[/itex] so [itex]\int_0^1 e^x dx= e^1- e^0= e- 1[/itex]
What does that tell you about [itex]\int_0^1 e^{x^2}dx[/itex]?

then like this?...

[x] [0 to 1] ≤ ∫[0 to 1] e^x^2 dx ≤ [e^x] [0 to 1]
1 ≤ ∫[0 to 1] e^x^2 dx ≤ e - 1
Since 0 < 1 and e - 1 < 3 so we must have 0 < ∫[0 to 1] e^x^2 dx < 3.

and also where do all those numbers come from?...8712,08804,8804?

1. What is the positive integral of e^x^3?

The positive integral of e^x^3 is an expression that represents the area under the curve of the function e^x^3. It is a mathematical concept that is used in calculus to calculate the total change in a function over a certain interval.

2. How is the positive integral of e^x^3 calculated?

The positive integral of e^x^3 is calculated using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function can be found by evaluating its antiderivative at the upper and lower limits of integration. In simpler terms, it involves finding the area under the curve of the function e^x^3 by using a specific formula and substituting the upper and lower limits of integration.

3. What is the significance of the positive integral of e^x^3?

The positive integral of e^x^3 has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to calculate the total change or accumulation of a quantity over a given time period. It is also a crucial concept in the study of differential equations, which are used to model and solve real-world problems.

4. Can the positive integral of e^x^3 be negative?

No, the positive integral of e^x^3 is, by definition, a positive value. The "positive" in the name indicates that it represents the area above the x-axis on a graph of the function e^x^3. If the area below the x-axis is also included, it is referred to as the "definite integral" of e^x^3, which can be positive or negative.

5. How is the positive integral of e^x^3 related to the exponential function?

The positive integral of e^x^3 is closely related to the exponential function, as e^x^3 is the derivative of the exponential function. This relationship is known as the inverse relationship between the exponential and logarithmic functions. The positive integral of e^x^3 is essentially the inverse of the derivative of the exponential function, and it helps to find the original function from its derivative.