Find point of Equidistance

• Thread starter arizona_cards_11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary: It does: (3, -2) = (-1, 3/2) and (2, 3/2) = (1, 0). Therefore, the circumcenter is (1, 0).In summary, the circumcenter of the given triangle is at the intersection of the perpendicular bisectors of the two sides that have slopes of 3/2 and -2/3.
arizona_cards_11
Find point of Equidistance...

Find the point that is equidistant from (0,0) , (2,3) , and (3,-2)...

I have plotted the points and have drawn a circle, putting all points on the outside...showing the equidistance.

I plan on guesstimating a point int he middle, labeling it (X1,Y1)...then, I will plug each of the points above into the distance formula seperately with the "X1/Y1" creating 3 equations.

Then, I'll use substitution and such to find x and y...does this seem like a logical plan?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your plan is what I first looked at but then I figured why not try distance formula, maybe i can learn something about the triangle this forms.

(0, 0) => (3, -2) = [tex]\sqrt{13}[/tex] units.
(0, 0) => (2, 3) = [tex]\sqrt{13}[/tex] units.
(2, 3) => (3, -2) = [tex]\sqrt{26}[/tex] units = [tex]\sqrt{13}*\sqrt{2}[/tex]

Without looking at the graph i can tell your points form an isosceles right triangle with vertice in (0, 0). Maybe that's useful. Now inscribe that in a circle...and remember some basic geometry properties.

Edit: It doesn't look like Calculus to me...is there a fancy way to do this?

Last edited:
Robokapp said:
Your plan is what I first looked at but then I figured why not try distance formula, maybe i can learn something about the triangle this forms.

(0, 0) => (3, -2) = [tex]\sqrt{13}[/tex] units.
(0, 0) => (2, 3) = [tex]\sqrt{13}[/tex] units.
(2, 3) => (3, -2) = [tex]\sqrt{26}[/tex] units = [tex]\sqrt{13}*\sqrt{2}[/tex]

Without looking at the graph i can tell your points form an isosceles right triangle with vertice in (0, 0). Maybe that's useful. Now inscribe that in a circle...and remember some basic geometry properties.

Edit: It doesn't look like Calculus to me...is there a fancy way to do this?

It is trig in a Calculus book...I should have put it into a different forum, sorry.

No lol I was just wondering...because I used nothing but Distance Formula and basic Geometry I info...and I got curious if I either did a big mistake or I found a "lucky" numerical situation.

Like...any 4th grader can do 2^2 but when you ask 2^3 there will be some answers of 5 or 6. It happens to me a lot to "mistake" into the right answer.

The site that has helped me the most is the following link...

http://www.regentsprep.org/regents/math/geometry/GCG6/RCir.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Given any triangle, its "circumcenter" is the center of the circumscribing circle- the circle that goes through the three vertices. Obviously, the circumcenter is equidistant from the three vertices.

Since the circumcenter is equidistant from the two endpoints of any side, it must lie on the perpendicular bisector of that side. In other words, the circumcenter is at the intersection of the perpendicular bisectors of the three sides.

In the given example, vertices at (0,0) , (2,3) , and (3,-2):
The side between (0,0) and (2,3) has slope 3/2 and midpoint (1, 3/2). It's perpendicular bisector has slope -2/3 and passes through (1, 3/2) and so has equation y= (-2/3)(x- 1)+ 3/2.
The side between (0,0) and (3,-2) has slope -2/3 and midpoint (3/2, -1). It's perpendicular bisector has slope 3/2 and passes through (3/2, -1) and so has equation y= (3/2)(x- 3/2)- 1.

The circumcenter is the point of intersection of those two lines: Solve the two equations for x and y.

As a check, the perpendicular bisector of the third side through (2, 3) and (3, -2) should also pass through that point.

1. What is the concept of "Find point of Equidistance" in science?

The concept of "Find point of Equidistance" is a mathematical and geographical term that refers to the point at which two or more points are equidistant or have the same distance. In other words, it is the point that is exactly in the middle between two or more points.

2. How is the point of equidistance calculated?

The point of equidistance is calculated by finding the average coordinates of the given points. This can be done by adding the x-coordinates and dividing by the number of points, and then doing the same for the y-coordinates. The resulting coordinates will be the point of equidistance.

3. What is the significance of finding the point of equidistance?

Finding the point of equidistance can be useful in various fields such as geography, navigation, and surveying. It can help determine the center of a geographical area, the midpoint between two cities, or the location of a landmark.

4. Can the point of equidistance be found for more than two points?

Yes, the point of equidistance can be found for any number of points. The process is the same, where the average coordinates of all the given points will be the point of equidistance.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the concept of "Find point of Equidistance"?

Yes, the concept of "Find point of Equidistance" is widely used in various fields such as navigation, surveying, and cartography. It is also used in determining the optimal location for facilities such as schools, hospitals, and businesses.