Tangent lines to a f(x)

But you know the derivative at (0,0) is 0. That means the slope of the tangent line there is 0 and the equation of the line is y= 0x= 0. So you don't need to use Newton's method at all. In summary, the problem is to find a tangent line to the graph of f(x) = x^2 + 4 that passes through the point (0,0). Since the derivative at (0,0) is 0, the slope of the tangent line is also 0. Therefore, the equation of the tangent line is y= 0
teken894
Seems like a simple problem, but I have no idea how to accomplish this!

f(x) = x^2 +4

I have to find a tangent line to the graph that passes through the point (0,0).

I know the derivative is 2x, but I don't know how to mathematically figure out the which (x,f(x)) the tangent line would pass through..!
Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
If the derivative is [tex] 2x [/tex], then the slope at [tex] (0,0) [/tex] will be [tex] 0 [/tex]. So its just a horizontal line through [tex] (0,0) [/tex]

courtrigrad said:
If the derivative is [tex] 2x [/tex], then the slope at [tex] (0,0) [/tex] will be [tex] 0 [/tex]. So its just a horizontal line through [tex] (0,0) [/tex]

I know that.

You seee (0,0) is not a point on the graph. (0,0) is a given point (outside the graph) which I need to find a line tangent to the graph with.

http://66.93.135.68/tmp_pic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
you have to use Newtons method [tex] x_{n+1} = x_{n} - \frac{f(x_{n})}{f'(x_{n})} [/tex]

You could do it in a simpler way.
[tex]f(x) = x^2 + 4[/tex]
[tex]f'(x) = 2x[/tex]

Let [tex]g(x) = f'(x).x[/tex], i.e. write the equation of the tangent line in terms of x and [tex]f'(x)[/tex].

So you need a point where [tex]f(x) = g(x)[/tex]
So: [tex] x^2 + 4 = (2x)x[/tex]

Last edited:
courtrigrad said:
The problem did not say "tangent at (0,0)".

First, distinguish between the variable, x, and the x-value of the point of tangency. Let's call the x value at the point of tangency x0. Then the derivative at that point is 2x0 and so the tangent line has equation y= 2x0x. In order to be a tangent, that line must touch the parabola at x0: at x= x0 we must have y= 2x02= x02+ 4. Because of the symmetry, there are two lines through (0,0) tangent to y= x2+ 4

What is a tangent line to a f(x)?

A tangent line to a f(x) is a line that touches a curve at only one point and has the same slope as the curve at that point.

How is a tangent line to a f(x) calculated?

A tangent line to a f(x) is calculated by finding the derivative of the function at a specific point and then using that slope to create a line that touches the curve at that point.

Why is finding tangent lines to a f(x) important?

Finding tangent lines to a f(x) is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point. It also allows us to approximate the curve and make predictions about its behavior.

Can a function have more than one tangent line?

No, a function can only have one tangent line at a specific point. This is because the slope of a tangent line is determined by the derivative of the function at that point, and a function can only have one derivative at a specific point.

What is the relationship between a tangent line and a secant line?

A tangent line is a special case of a secant line, where the two points on the secant line are very close together. As the two points on a secant line get closer and closer, the secant line approaches the tangent line at that point.