Aliens Stealing Socks? Unsolved Mystery!

• Thread starter timejim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aliens
In summary, the conversation discusses the common occurrence of missing socks when doing laundry and proposes various theories as to where they may have gone. Some suggest invisible aliens or pesky gremlins, while others mention the possibility of socks getting lost in the dryer or being eaten by other clothes. One person even suggests a solution - "Pantysox" - to prevent losing socks. Another person brings up the popular TV show South Park, which also addresses the issue of missing socks.
timejim
My socks. Sometimes, when I wash my clothes, I find one of my socks are missing. Always a sock. Why? The best I can figure out is that an Alien must have taken them. Where else could they be going?
I've tried to figure it out but evidently there are invisible Aliens that are in peoples homes and they are taking our socks, one by one. Maybe it is a game of "scavenger hunt" they are playing among themselves. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
what about those pesky gremlins? Sometimes they steal my socks, my shirts, pants and... my sanity

I believe there was a thread around here somewhere that talked about physics-esq theories about how these socks keep dissappearing. Who knows... the sock may have tunneled out of the dryer for all we know.

or maybe they were eaten by the other clothes!

I have solved this problem. I was inspired by my wife's pantyhose. I call them "Pantysox" TM (patent pending Njorlco). Yes - they are woven wool sweat socks that go all the way up to your waist and join together. You're guaranteed never to lose one! True, they can get a bit itchy, but the scratching sure is fun!

Njorl

The sock theory was solved on an episode of South Park. Now everyone knows that the Underware Knomes steal socks while you are sleeping.

1. Where did the idea of aliens stealing socks come from?

The idea of aliens stealing socks is a popular urban legend that has been around for decades. It is believed to have originated in the 1950s, when people started noticing that their socks would often go missing without any explanation.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the theory of aliens stealing socks?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the theory of aliens stealing socks. It is considered to be a fun and imaginative concept, but there is no factual basis for it.

3. Why do we always seem to lose one sock from a pair?

There are many potential explanations for this phenomenon, including misplacing the sock, it getting stuck in the dryer or washing machine, or it being taken by pets or children. The idea of aliens stealing socks is just one of many theories.

4. Are there any reported sightings or encounters with aliens stealing socks?

No, there are no reported sightings or encounters with aliens stealing socks. As mentioned before, this concept is purely fictional and there is no evidence to suggest that it has ever happened in real life.

5. Could aliens really be interested in our socks?

It is highly unlikely that aliens would have any interest in our socks. If advanced enough to travel to Earth, they would likely have access to much more advanced technology and resources. The idea of them being interested in something as mundane as socks is purely speculative and not supported by any scientific evidence.