EL gauges and inverter control circuit Help

In summary, a user has joined a forum and is seeking help with installing a Chrysler 300 M electroluminescent gauge set in their 2000 Intrepid. They need to swap the faces onto the original cluster electrics, but are having trouble figuring out the power and control for the inverter with 6 pins. They have a high-resolution picture of the circuit board and are seeking assistance from the forum.
vfinterceptor
Hi all,
Just joined and have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with. I'm putting a Chrysler 300 M electroluminescent gauge set in my 2000 Intrepid (backlit gauges). The problem is that I have to swap the faces onto the original cluster electrics in order for everything to work properly. I can swap the complete 300m cluster into the Intrepid, but then there are all manners of warning lights illuminated as the on board chip is progrsammed differently than the Intrepid. It's pretty much a straight plug in swap to change the faces, except the Intrepid cluster does not support the inverter for the EL gauges. The inverter off the 300m board has 6 pins and I'm having a little trouble figuring out what power to run to each pin. 2 are easy as they are the output to the gauge faces. I'm assuming the other 4 are power and a reference circuit from the vehicles dimmer for the dash lights.

Here is a pic of the circuit board:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e...july-09-237.jpg [Broken]

The boxed dashed line is the inverter circuit where the inverter resides on the board.
The output lines are the two circuits that come out on the left and are labeled "output" on the print.
I need to identify the other four inputs to see if I can source the power and control from the stock intrepid circuit board.
I have higher resolution pics, send me your email address if you would like to see them. Be warned though, each pic is 5 megs!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cheers

BJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your link didn't work for me.

PS Welcome to PF

try this one:

http://tinyurl.com/24ahhu

cheers

BJ

1. What is an EL gauge?

An EL gauge, also known as an electroluminescent gauge, is a type of display that uses phosphors to emit light when an electric current is applied. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as alarm clocks, digital watches, and car dashboards.

2. How does an inverter control circuit work?

An inverter control circuit is responsible for converting the DC power supply into AC power, which is necessary for EL gauges to function. This circuit uses transistors to switch the current on and off at a high frequency, which creates the AC output necessary for the EL gauge to light up.

3. What are the benefits of using EL gauges?

EL gauges have several advantages over other types of displays, including low power consumption, high visibility in low light conditions, and a thin and flexible design. They also have a longer lifespan compared to traditional incandescent or LED displays.

4. How do I troubleshoot issues with my EL gauge and inverter control circuit?

If your EL gauge is not working properly, it could be due to a faulty inverter control circuit or a damaged EL panel. To troubleshoot, you can check the connections and make sure the power supply is working correctly. If the issue persists, it is best to consult a professional for further assistance.

5. Can I use an EL gauge and inverter control circuit for outdoor applications?

EL gauges are not recommended for outdoor use as they are sensitive to moisture and temperature changes. They also have limited visibility in bright sunlight. It is best to use them in indoor or low-light environments for optimal performance and longevity.