Calculating Area Using Integration

• Thread starter helpm3pl3ase
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: Rightarrow dv=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{t-1}} dt\Rightarrow v=\sqrt{t-1}\Rightarrow t^{2}\sqrt{t-1}-\int \sqrt{t-1} dt= t^{2}\sqrt{t-1} - \frac{2}{3}(t-1)^{3/2} + C
helpm3pl3ase
I was wondering if I did this correctly:

Sketch the region enclosed by y = x and y^2=x+2 and then determine its area.

I got the area enclosed to be x = 0, x = 2.

Then I used Integral from 0 to 2 (x+2)^(1/2) - (x) = [(2/3)(x+2)^(3/2) - (x^2/2)] evaluated at 2 and 0 which = 10/3

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure? Your method looks fine but I think you may have made a mistake when you put x=0 in your result. (2/3)(0+2)^(3/2) is not zero.

oo your right.. goddamn.. lol.. so does this look right

10/3 - (4*(2)^(1/2))/3

I just wasnt sure if I went from the right points (0,2) because the graph y = (x+2)^(1/2) ends at x = -2.

helpm3pl3ase said:
oo your right.. goddamn.. lol.. so does this look right

10/3 - (4*(2)^(1/2))/3

I just wasnt sure if I went from the right points (0,2) because the graph y = (x+2)^(1/2) ends at x = -2.

3, you mean? not that it's going to matter...

I just graphed it and I see what you mean. Yeah, I guess you should take it from x=-2, since there is nothing in your question about x=0.

alright so integrate from 2 to -2 which i would get:

16/3?

I agree with that answer.

alright man.. Thanks..

You're welcome. :smile:

one more question:

I need total distance of a particle traveling at v(t) = t^3 - 3t for [0,5]

t^3 - 3t = (t^4/4) - (3/2)t^2 at x = 5 and x = 0

= 475/4?? Did i do this correctly for the TOTAL distance

Last edited:
Anyone?

Hmmm, yeah I would be careful with that. If you put in just x=0 and x=5 you would get the displacement, which is not necessarily the total distance. So you have to know which they are really asking for. Try adding up the distance between t=0 to t=1, then t=1 to t=2 up to t=5 to get a better idea of the total distance.

so

t^3 - 3t = (t^4/4) - (3/2)t^2 at x = 1 and x = 0
+
t^3 - 3t = (t^4/4) - (3/2)t^2 at x = 2 and x = 1
+
t^3 - 3t = (t^4/4) - (3/2)t^2 at x = 3 and x = 2

etc?? Like that??

Yeah, I would try that.

All added together i get 481/4??

is the any definite way to know the right answer..

I can't think of one of off the top of my head. Is there someone you can clarify the question with?

not really.. but i do have another question for you if your up for it.. Yes I know i have a lot, but I am being tested quite soon and I need to know my ****

I'll give it a try. You also might see more action if you post your questions in the Homework Forums.

Awesome.. here's one..

find Integral of (t^2)/(t-1)^(1/2) dt

I know we need to use the substitution rule.. but I am not sure where to begin:

u = t^2, du = 2t dt, dt = du/2t??

Integration by parts works nicely here.

i know but Iam unsure of where to begin..

u= t-1 du = dt

Integral (u)^2/u^(1/2)

= u^2 * u^(-1/2) then antideriv??

Set [itex]u(t)=t^{2},\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{t-1}}[/itex]

1. What is integration in science?

Integration in science refers to the process of combining different pieces of information or knowledge to form a more complete understanding of a topic or phenomenon. It involves analyzing, synthesizing, and connecting different concepts or data to create a more comprehensive view.

2. How is integration used in scientific research?

Integration is a crucial aspect of scientific research as it allows researchers to combine data from different sources, perspectives, or disciplines to gain a deeper understanding of their research topic. It can also help identify patterns, relationships, or gaps in existing knowledge.

3. What are the benefits of using integration in science?

Using integration in science can lead to a more holistic and nuanced understanding of a topic or phenomenon. It can also help bridge gaps between different disciplines and promote collaboration among scientists. Integration can also lead to more accurate and reliable conclusions.

4. What are some common methods of integration in science?

Some common methods of integration in science include literature reviews, meta-analyses, and interdisciplinary research. Literature reviews involve synthesizing and analyzing existing studies on a topic, while meta-analyses use statistical techniques to combine data from multiple studies. Interdisciplinary research involves collaboration between scientists from different disciplines to study a complex issue.

5. How does integration contribute to the advancement of science?

Integration plays a crucial role in the advancement of science by promoting the development of new theories, concepts, and methodologies. It also helps identify gaps in existing knowledge and can lead to new discoveries and innovations. By integrating different perspectives and data, scientists can gain a more complete understanding of complex issues and make significant contributions to their fields.