Becoming an Engineer: Considerations and Personal Experiences

• Other
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: However, if you are genuinely interested in engineering, you should become an engineer regardless of what branch you study.End question: Should I become an engineer?Answer: If you see beauty and elegance in physics and calculus, then maybe you are on the right track; but, if it bores you to learn about how things work, how they are built, and how to make them better, then you probably do not want to become an engineer.

Hello, I need some guidance here.

I'll be going into college with 70 credits or so, so I have decided I would like to double major. I want to choose two majors that will leave me with the most opportunities for grad school.

I was always interested in black holes, time, etc., as well as designing things as a kid. As I got older, I liked to read about theoretical physics, and I excelled in mathematics (800 SAT) and science (800 SAT II Physics). I'm leaning towards being a college professor, due to the freedom. I have always wanted a PhD, and couldn't see myself stopping after undergrad.

After reading and hearing that scientists and engineers have to compete for jobs, especially in academia, I'm a bit pushed away from the field. Even though that's where my interest lies, I don't want to end up struggling to find a job paying 50k a year after grad school, when I can end up making 110k+ as a business professor.

The fields I am considering in science are:
Physics
Astronomy/Astrophysics (goes back to childhood)
Engineering Physics
Pure Engineering
Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering

The fields I am considering to complement my science degree are:
Accounting
Finance
Mathematics
Biophysics or something in medicine

Do any of these fields seem suited for me? Is there really a great deal of competition for jobs as an astrophysicist or engineer?

I'm very confused here, after hearing that this whole shortage of scientists and engineers is a myth.

I appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

powerhawk said:
I'm very confused here, after hearing that this whole shortage of scientists and engineers is a myth.

There is no shortage of scientists/engineers at all. Here, the amount of applicants is just tremendous...

Engineering studies are hard, to be honest. The best opportunities are often given to the top people. You should go for it only if you think you can do well ie. an honorary degree or something like that.

Last edited:

Hopefully this thread has debunked the myth that a certain discipline is easier than another.

Don't choose a discipline because some one said it was easy - rather it is a discipline that you can see yourself enjoy studying for 4-5 years of your life. Now every degree will have material that you hate and material that you love.

Studying engineering is more of an appreciation for how that niche program came to be and to pass down problem solving techniques using the technology, knowledge and know-how around you.

Choose depending on interest and not on difficulty.

aestas said:
I like building things and finding out why they work/making them work better very interesting. I'd love to go into the design aspect, and maybe work with airplane structure or something like that. Do I have a misconception about engineering? Is this what engineers do? Or is this more of an engineering technician's job? I'm kinda scared that I'm walking into something that is very difficult and isn't really something I thought I signed up for.

Unlike most people on the forum, I'm not gifted in math and physics, nor am I absolutely fascinated by it. Frankly, nothing at school right now is particularly fascinating (taking Bio, Chem, English and History this semester). But people often mistake my lack of interest for hatred, and it's not like I hate math or physics, I just see them right now as a means to an end. Judging on ability alone, I'm about average in high school math and physics, but now that I have a goal in mind, I think I can do better. I started off doing maths as a chore (and very poorly at that), because I really had no career goal in mind and I was just mindlessly going through my grade 11 year.

I'm scared to death that even if I do try my hardest (haven't yet at high school) that I won't be able to make it. Should I go into engineering if I'm worried it might be too hard for me?
Hey man,

Never start anything thinking you won't make it or you can't succeed. Failure is a minor setback but should never be an option.

If you live life knowing you can't fail - what would you accomplish?

With regard to your dilemma - identify your perceived problems and do what it takes to overcome them.

roam said:
There is no shortage of scientists/engineers at all. Here, the amount of applicants is just tremendous...

Engineering studies are hard, to be honest. The best opportunities are often given to the top people. You should go for it only if you think you can do well ie. an honorary degree or something like that.

Compared to what other professions are the number of applicants tremendous. I get the feeling everyone is struggling for a job and for Engineering at least would not be hurting you job prospects but increasing them drastically.

What area would you suggest would be an easy place to find a good job ?

RufusDawes said:
Compared to what other professions are the number of applicants tremendous. I get the feeling everyone is struggling for a job and for Engineering at least would not be hurting you job prospects but increasing them drastically.

What area would you suggest would be an easy place to find a good job ?

I'm in the US. Isn't it different in Australia?

powerhawk said:
I'm in the US. Isn't it different in Australia?

Similar, there are lots of jobs in mining and contruction mostly outside of melb and syd.

The USA is usually a fairly good model of what will happen in Australia,

You should keep in mind that there is competition for almost EVERY interesting job. You also miss every shot that don't take, and you only live once. Also, in regards to being a scientist (specifically a physicist), it is often said that people who failed at physics make a lot more money than people who succeeded. Failed meaning that they couldn't get a physics-related job after completing their PhD (which actually isn't very common, from AIP statistics. The majority of physics PhDs work in physics). These people often go off to do financial work and make heaps more money than physicists do. Also, the overall unemployment rate for physics PhDs is far below the average.

Monocles said:
You should keep in mind that there is competition for almost EVERY interesting job. You also miss every shot that don't take, and you only live once. Also, in regards to being a scientist (specifically a physicist), it is often said that people who failed at physics make a lot more money than people who succeeded. Failed meaning that they couldn't get a physics-related job after completing their PhD (which actually isn't very common, from AIP statistics. The majority of physics PhDs work in physics). These people often go off to do financial work and make heaps more money than physicists do. Also, the overall unemployment rate for physics PhDs is far below the average.

Hmm, I suppose that would make finance+physics double degree in undergrad ideal.

I like building, tearing apart, and improving mechanical designs so I've been thinking about doing a mechanical or aerospace engineering masters when I finish my BS in Physics. However there is something that concerns me...how much interaction does the typical mechanical engineer have with whatever he is working on? Is a typical mechanical engineer merely a CAD jockey? Does he actually get to interact with what he is working on, or is all the manufacturing, assembly, and testing outsourced?

The mechanical engineer would design the product. There are drafters that do most of the CAD detail work.

KennyCivE said:
The mechanical engineer would design the product. There are drafters that do most of the CAD detail work.

I understand that in theory mechanical engineers design the product...but are real world mechanical engineer jobs actually like this?

The definition of a "mechanical engineer" is a broad one. A lot of people that are CAD jockeys, project engineers, sales engineers, etc... I do not call engineers although they brand themselves with the title. I am an electromechanical engineer and I give myself (along with my employer) that title because I practice engineering. That is, I design and develop electromechanical systems using the tools of mathematics and physics. The majority of people that have degrees in engineering are not actual engineers. The job description of an engineer varies greatly but ultimately it is up to YOU that determines what you are doing, not your degree or job title. If you want to do R&D type work then I suggest you get your masters and possibly a PhD as well. Typically just a bachelors won't do it unless you want to be a CAD jockey.

I see a lot of people trying to make a distinction between science majors and engineering majors. I can only speak on the behalf of EE (and a little ME that I had to take), but I don't think it is accurate for people here to be saying that physics, chem, bio etc. revolve around the same fields as engineering but seek to explain the "whys"; whereas, engineering seeks to answer "how to apply". This is black and white, and that is not the reality of the subject.

The reason I say this is because I had to learn all of the "whys" and in depth theory in my schooling, and then on top of that, apply my knowledge to design and functionality of devices. In my job, I don't simply design something knowing it will solve a problem or function to serve the application. I also must explain to myself or find out why the design is working as it does, or else I am not being responsible and controlling my design; we can't design in ignorance of small details without knowing that we are making assumptions and why we can make these assumptions. For a simple example, engineering specs define ESD discharge with simple circuit models. But I know of triboelectric effects and have studied electrostatics to explain how this voltage and energy can manifest, and then I can trace RC time constant concepts all the way to basic differential equation theory, and I have used this pure theory and "whys" to validate my ESD protection circuitry for a design. We don't simply memorize tau = RC and learn how to apply it, or atleast we are not being true engineers if we do so.

Engineers study more in depth in some areas of physics than a physics major would. I am confident that I know just as much about the physics of semiconductors, electromagnetics, thermodynamics, relativity, quantum mechanics and the theory of differential equations, linear algebra, and statistics as a pure physics student knows (if not more) straight out of school. Physics majors take electives that are more liberal, but engineers must take electives in application, technology (especially programming courses), or even further study into physics and mathematics theory. Engineers can't effectively apply the theory without understanding it at a deep level; people who skip over theory earn engineering technology degrees rather than engineering degrees, and there is an obvious distinction. You will only see a divergence in knowledge of "pure" theory when an individual chooses a specific career path, and even then, the engineer will know all about the theory and be able to explain the "whys" of his chosen field (or else he will have to do a lot of BSing and hope for the best).

All of this said, I will admit that a physics student may have more time and focus to devote to pure theory, but this does not mean an engineer is not expected to know it as well. There is a reason people cringe when hearing about EE curriculum as opposed to a physics curriculum, and the much more rigorous study comes with the territory.

P.S. I recognize that physics and chemistry programs can also be very rigorous and difficult, but I don't think we can give them specific and unique distinction in better understanding the underlying theories of "pure" science. I mean no offense to any of you physicists and chemists :]

Last edited:

Is engineering for me? I'm a rising freshman going into electrical engineering.

I like "creation." I like making things, making things work, and fixing things. And I like working with my hands. I like "normal hobbies" like knitting/crocheting, cooking, and sewing, but I also like going doing other things like programming (haven't studied in-depth though, just enough to get things done) and wiring for robotics (I want to do more than what I did, but the opportunities weren't really there). I like to start things off with structure, and once I get more experience, deviate and create my own structure.

The problem with "creation" is that since it's broad, my interests are also broad. I am interested in so many things that, unlike lots of other engineering majors I've met, I can't dedicate 100% of my attention to one field for over 10+ years at a time. But, I don't lose interest in things, my interests rotate.

I chose electrical engineering because I feel it is broad. My school offers a variety of electives for electrical engineers, most of which I am interested in. I also considered computer engineering, and switching into that will be easy (computer engineering used to exist as a minor under electrical engineering) and information systems (computer science feels too theory-based to me).

I plan on studying engineering, but do you think it's a good career path for someone like me? I am decent in math (but I LOVE it, even if I am failing multivariate calculus) and not too great with physics (but my only exposure so far is high school physics). I don't mind interaction with people (as long as they can do math).

To be honest, I believe you need to be great at physics to be a successful engineer, math isn't that important. Like theAnalogKid noted, you need to understand the "why" and the "how to use why". You really do need to know basically every fundamental behavior of nature to understand "why" things are the way they are, this includes mechanics and electrodynamics at macro and micro levels. This is where most engineers fall short, thinking they can replace fundamental understanding with textbook problems and mathematics. If you truly understand the nature of what's happening, it will tell you the equations.

I don't really think I know enough about you to give you my opinion. What sort of things have you created? What have you made work? Have you ever torn apart a car engine, built a robot from scratch, built an RC helicopter(one of my hobbies)? Many fields of engineering are multidisciplinary. You just need more experience and exposure to figure out what you really like.

Hi people. I'm going to be starting my university life this coming week, and I'm doing a B.Eng degree in Electrical Engineering. There are some questions i would like to ask. I know some of these questions have been done to death before, but pardon me because i haven't found answers that relate to my circumstances 100%.

1) Is there ANY university that would allow me to directly undertake a PhD in astrophysics (which i understand is a graduate degree in SCIENCE) with just a BEng degree (which i don't think is even a degree in science), and

2) If so, is it possible to do it 10-15 years after i have gotten the degree? And lastly,

3) If the above is not possible, what is the best possible route for me to take to ensure that this is possible in the shortest and easiest way? (eg. take a minor or double major, take a separate BSc)

I know this all may sound silly, but it all stems out from my 2 dreams of being an engineer and an astronomer. I have always wanted to be an electrical engineer, but there are times when i think a huge bulk in my intellectual curiosity lies with the intrigues of the universe. I was actually thinking of working as an engineer for a decade or so, and when i got tired of the rat race, i would switch back to studying again, and perhaps be a professional astronomer for the rest of my life.

However, after speaking to my teacher about this recently, she advised against it. She made me realize that going for graduate studies in science with a bachelor in engineering was not as easy as i thought. So now i am stuck at my current position not knowing what to do. If it is really impossible i don't mind being just a backyard astronomer, but if life permits i would prefer to study at a university. Anybody have any suggestions on what i should do?

bingong said:
Hi people. I'm going to be starting my university life this coming week, and I'm doing a B.Eng degree in Electrical Engineering. There are some questions i would like to ask. I know some of these questions have been done to death before, but pardon me because i haven't found answers that relate to my circumstances 100%.

1) Is there ANY university that would allow me to directly undertake a PhD in astrophysics (which i understand is a graduate degree in SCIENCE) with just a BEng degree (which i don't think is even a degree in science), and

2) If so, is it possible to do it 10-15 years after i have gotten the degree? And lastly,

3) If the above is not possible, what is the best possible route for me to take to ensure that this is possible in the shortest and easiest way? (eg. take a minor or double major, take a separate BSc)

I know this all may sound silly, but it all stems out from my 2 dreams of being an engineer and an astronomer. I have always wanted to be an electrical engineer, but there are times when i think a huge bulk in my intellectual curiosity lies with the intrigues of the universe. I was actually thinking of working as an engineer for a decade or so, and when i got tired of the rat race, i would switch back to studying again, and perhaps be a professional astronomer for the rest of my life.

However, after speaking to my teacher about this recently, she advised against it. She made me realize that going for graduate studies in science with a bachelor in engineering was not as easy as i thought. So now i am stuck at my current position not knowing what to do. If it is really impossible i don't mind being just a backyard astronomer, but if life permits i would prefer to study at a university. Anybody have any suggestions on what i should do?

I did a BSEE in engineering, and I'm about to undertake a MS in physics while I work within a year. I am doing this to strengthen my fundamentals and to open my options for even further education (I will be aiming for engineering as a full time student). I think your adviser does not know what she is talking about to discourage you, EE will prepare you for almost anything because you learn how to acquire knowledge and skills in general and to solve problems. Many people with BSEEs become businessmen, medical doctors, research scientists, lawyers etc. Do what you think will satisfy you and make you happy, and going from EE to astronomy is not out of the question as astronomy has close ties with signal processing, electronics, and electromagnetics.

Make sure that if you do work in the EE industry after undergraduate school that you maintain your physics and mathematics skills and make an effort to study astronomy on your own, this will make the transition from work life back to school much easier. You also would be well off to get a minor or double major, but you can also just focus in electives for EE that will help you land a job in an industry related to astronomy, and that will go a long way for when you decide to go back to school.

Another question...will I have any problems applying to an engineering Masters program with a B.S. in Physics? I'm aware that I'll have to take some pre-requisite courses, but other than that will there be any outstanding problems with my education path?

Hey, does anyone know of a good resource for comparing different Californian Materials Science/Engineering PhD programs?

I would like some advice on choosing an engineering specialisation. I have a love of mathematics so preferably I would like an engineering degree/profession with as much math as possible.

I usually like a layer of abstraction - I am not one who likes physically working with technology as such. I would rather do calculations, designs etc.

I have heard electrical engineering involves a lot of problem solving (good thing) and mathematics. Also Aerospace Engineering but I'm guessing this has less abstraction? I don't much like chemistry so that rules out chemical engineering etc.

Which engineering field makes the most money? I will not use this solely to pick my field, I just want to know. I have seen many different results and just want to see what you guys say.

It's hard to get statistics on salaries, but here's a start I suppose: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm#earnings

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello, I am new to this forum but I will start by telling a little about myself. I am going into my senior year of high school and I am still confused on what I want my career to be. I was always interested in drafting and I am very computer literate. One of my main wants is a career that deals with people on a daily basis. I am very people friendly and outgoing and its an absolute must that I work with people. I do not want to be stuck in a cubicle all day. Engineering has been always an option for me, I used to want to be a creator of tanks and other military weapons but I don't want to see my products be used to kill others.

I don't know what field of engineering I am interested in yet, but I do know that chemical engineering is not one of them! I want to develop some kind of technology, either offshore or on the ground, maybe airplanes or something.. I was wondering if any of you have any tips on how to find out what path i should take. Any sites or anything. Also, since I have some time on my hands each day, I was wondering if you guys suggest I do something, such as drafting or other sketches? Its weird to explain but a good question I guess I should ask is, if I was to become an engineer, mechanical or industrial etc, will drafting be a part of the routine?

I hope this was not too long of a post, but please respond if any of you have any tips or suggestions.

pravda63 (justice) , take mech eng.
***** read math and mech books.

good luck my bro,

Pravada, honestly you don't really sound like an engineer to me. How many car engines have you taken apart and put back together? What are your hobbies or what do you do for fun? Good people skills is a must for everyone but expect to work alone frequently as an engineer. Also, no one does drafting or sketching anymore, its all CAD now. And why exactly do you want to design weapons when you don't want to see them used? Seems a bit contradicting to me. Engineering management might be up your ally, but as for the real hardcore stuff, sorry to say but I just don't get that vibe from your post.

How was your life/courses in college like when majoring in industrial engineering?

How was your life/courses in college like when majoring in industrial engineering?

I'm currently majoring in biological sciences. Throughout high school I was not interested in engineering because of a misconception. Now that I looked into industrial engineering I feel that it strongly describes my interests and passions. Although I planned to go to med school, but now I'm not too sure. Engineering might be for me, but I also like my current major.

Your help will be greatly appreciated :smile:

This may sound like a stupid question but how important is the knowledge of math compared to chemistry for a chemical engineer? I know math is the fundamental element that all engineering professions are built on but how integrated will it be compared to chemistry for a chemical engineer upon entering the work force? Will he/she be using more chemistry on a day to day basis over mathematics?

I'm considering becoming an engineer, but I still have questions that I hope you can answer.

What is the daily life of an engineer really like?
A "day in the life", as it were. (I know there are lots of different branches, so just whatever one you can answer for is fine.) All I seem to be able to find are general accounts, nothing specific such as: I meet with my team in the morning, then spend a few hours going over my equations on the bridge struts, do some research on this new composite, whatever. How much do you sit at your desk doing equations? How much are you finding new solutions and how much are you using old solutions? How much "corporate interaction" is there? How much group work, how much solo projects?

What personalities are best suited? Am I suited?

Here's me: I like solving puzzles. As long as I'm making progress I'm captivated but when I get stuck I get bored. I'm really good at math when I take the time, and sort of pass when I don't. I really don't function when I am low on sleep. I don't know what else to tell you about myself, anything else just ask.

I was "smart" in high school, but average in a university setting. How hard is engineering going to be for me?

Thank you for any help you can give me, good people of the forum. :)

Topher925 said:
Pravada, honestly you don't really sound like an engineer to me. How many car engines have you taken apart and put back together? What are your hobbies or what do you do for fun? Good people skills is a must for everyone but expect to work alone frequently as an engineer. Also, no one does drafting or sketching anymore, its all CAD now. And why exactly do you want to design weapons when you don't want to see them used? Seems a bit contradicting to me. Engineering management might be up your ally, but as for the real hardcore stuff, sorry to say but I just don't get that vibe from your post.

Thats what my Dad said to me and now I regret not studying Engineering for a long time. There is surely more to it than tinkering with a car engine. Friend of mine works on pumps at a dock making sure they don't catch fire due to friction generated by fuel. Sounds like fun. Never pulled apart an engine in his life, though he is cynical about being an Engineer because the pay is low and he says the pumps are all the same. Old work mate is Civil Engineer goes out to suburubs and helps design freeways, sounds boring ? He is outside for a lot and is a manager, gets to travel across Australia and make good money. Worked on bridge and tunnel near my house must have been fun. Lots of concrete.

I studied economics and practically it looks like only education I will be doing is a honours/masters in economics... and become government Economist. I need money, or live in poverty, 4 more years is too long. Make the right decision now. If you want to be Engineer you should do it and not listen to what people say about you. But listen to their specific advice on things.

So ill be applying to universities in a couple of months, and have a few questions, and instead of starting a new thread, I thought i'd start here first.

I live in Mississauga Ontario and I'm interested in doing Engineering.
My first option is Aerospace at Ryerson, but I haven't heard/read too much about their program, and their site isn't anything to write home about either.

After that, since i heard many people working in this field are mechanical engineers, i thought I'd go for that and major (?, this major/minor is something new to me) in aerospace.

My questions:
1. How is Ryerson? Especially for Aerospace eng.
2. How hard would it be to get a job in Canada as an AE?

And that's it for now, Thanks!

pravada63, hate to break it to u, most engineers will work in a cubicle/office setting with maybe 10% of the time out in the field either to a site or a shop

Kennethfaria said:
So ill be applying to universities in a couple of months, and have a few questions, and instead of starting a new thread, I thought i'd start here first.

I live in Mississauga Ontario and I'm interested in doing Engineering.
My first option is Aerospace at Ryerson, but I haven't heard/read too much about their program, and their site isn't anything to write home about either.

After that, since i heard many people working in this field are mechanical engineers, i thought I'd go for that and major (?, this major/minor is something new to me) in aerospace.

My questions:
1. How is Ryerson? Especially for Aerospace eng.
2. How hard would it be to get a job in Canada as an AE?

And that's it for now, Thanks!

Please don't go there for engineering. Its nearly non-existant on the engineering map. If you live in sauga, might as well go to UT or better yet to Waterloo. I have many friends in Mech @ UW from sauga.

Oh, forgot to mention, yes, a lot of people in AE field majored in mech. That is a viable option. Also, if you decide to change your mind while u are doing mech u still ahve the option.

Oh, can i go the mech path and major in Aerospace?

and is ryerson THAT bad for aerospace? UfT's got it but i have to go through the engineering science program, and then choose aerospace after 3 years.

EDIT: I'm looking at mechatronics. Seems to me that they're in demand and they can get jobs in various fields. I'd be going to Mac for this one.

Last edited: