What is the moment of rotational inertia about the axis indicated?

In summary: So in this case, the moment of inertia of the rectangle about the axis indicated is the sum of the moments of inertia of the thin wire sides about that axis. In summary, the moment of inertia of a rectangle with uniform thin wire sides about the axis indicated is the sum of the moments of inertia of the side with the largest length (side b) and the side with the smallest length (side a).
vertex78

Homework Statement

The rectangle shown has a mass, m. The sides are made of uniform thin wire. The short side is of length a, and the long side is of length b. If m = 5.50 g, a = 0.05 cm and b = 0.1 cm, what is the moment of rotational inertia about the axis indicated?

(ignore the x's)
axis
|
|-----------------|
|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| side a = 0.05cm
|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
|-----------------|
| side b = .1 cm

Homework Equations

[tex]I = \frac{1}{3}mL^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]I = \frac{1}{3}(0.0055kg*.001^2) = 1.833x10^{-9}[/tex]

Can't I treat this as a high density rod along the bottom of the rectangle since the height of the particles do not matter?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are ignoring the contribution by side a.

D H said:
You are ignoring the contribution by side a.

it seems like the height of the rectangle is irrelevant since each particle at a particular length will have the same rotational inertia regardless of the height. Am I missing something here?

vertex78 said:
it seems like the height of the rectangle is irrelevant since each particle at a particular length will have the same rotational inertia regardless of the height. Am I missing something here?

yeah, precisely, each mass element on this "a"-rod will contribute the same amount... BUT this contribution should not be zero... as you have assumed so far.
also, judging by the wording of the question, the rectangle is of mass m, not each individual sides! Hence, uniform distribution of mass means that each side only get a portion of this m... and obvious the side which lie on the axis of rotation does not contribute.. and hence effectively you are rotating something that is of total mass less than m...

mjsd said:
yeah, precisely, each mass element on this "a"-rod will contribute the same amount... BUT this contribution should not be zero... as you have assumed so far.

I don't really understand how I have assumed the contribution is zero. I know this must be from my lack of understanding this correctly but I keep thinking that since I am using the full weight of the object and the length of side b then I would taking every particle in account. Can you elaborate on this a little more for me?

also, judging by the wording of the question, the rectangle is of mass m, not each individual sides! Hence, uniform distribution of mass means that each side only get a portion of this m... and obvious the side which lie on the axis of rotation does not contribute.. and hence effectively you are rotating something that is of total mass less than m...

Again my thinking was to put all the mass on one side so I would be thinking of it as a really dense rod of length side b, instead of a rectangle. Of course I could not get the correct answer thinking of it in this way

Could you give a little more explanation that can help me a little more towards understanding this so I can get a correct answer?

Look up the parallel-axis theorem. See if that helps.

vertex78 said:

Yes, you are missing something here. Side "a" has some mass.

The moment of inertia is an additive quantity. In other words, if you can split some object into components, the moment of inertia of the object as a whole about some axis is the some of the moments of inertia of each of the components about that same axis.

1. What is rotational inertia about an axis?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion about a specific axis. It depends on the mass of the object and its distribution around the axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of each particle in an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation, and then adding all of these values together. This can be represented mathematically as I = Σmr².

3. Does the shape of an object affect its moment of inertia?

Yes, the shape of an object does affect its moment of inertia. Objects with more mass farther away from the axis of rotation will have a greater moment of inertia than objects with the same mass but a more compact shape.

4. How does the moment of inertia change with different axes of rotation?

The moment of inertia is different for different axes of rotation. It depends on the distribution of mass around the axis, so changing the axis of rotation will change the moment of inertia. For example, an object will have a different moment of inertia if it is rotated around its center of mass compared to if it is rotated around a corner.

5. What is the significance of the moment of inertia in rotational motion?

The moment of inertia is an important factor in rotational motion because it determines how much torque is needed to cause an object to rotate at a certain angular acceleration. Objects with a higher moment of inertia will require more torque to reach the same angular acceleration as objects with a lower moment of inertia.